Need a wah reccomendation

scolfax

• Members

I just sold my Vox Big Bad and am looking for a good wah. I am trying out my friends Dunlop 535Q and changing the various settings I can get it 90% close to sounding good.

I play a Strat into a Fulltone '69 MKII into a Voxy amp, and I want to put the wah in front of the '69.

The trick to getting the Q to sound good is having the boost all the way up. In hindsight I think the Big Bad didn't have enough boost to work for me. It's possible I need even more boost or I guess a fuzz-friendly circuit?

My short list includes a Wilson 12 position and a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, solely on reputation. I don't know anything about Teese but obviously they are highly recommended.

I don't care about sounding "vintage", I just want it to sound good.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

I totally recommend a Wilson. I got a Wilson Rippah Q 6 Position and it's super versatile. You can dial in all sorts of wah tones. There's a volume control for the fuzz buffer inside of it for that boost you're looking for.

Not a big fan of the Fulltone Clyde, but if you want one, I'll sell you mine :lol:

• Members

I totally recommend a Wilson. I got a Wilson Rippah Q 6 Position and it's super versatile. You can dial in all sorts of wah tones. There's a volume control for the fuzz buffer inside of it for that boost you're looking for.

Not a big fan of the Fulltone Clyde, but if you want one, I'll sell you mine
:lol:

What don't you like about the Clyde?

BTW, it seems like wah pedals are pretty picky about what goes before/after them. Moreso than a lot of other pedals.

• Members

Clyde for me just lacked lots of clarity. Had a wide range of motion supposedly to give it a wider sweep, but I didn't notice a bigger sweep. Also, it was pretty noisy when running alone with a battery, and just got worse when on my board. Just kinda sounded ugly to me.

• Members

i have a regular crybaby and an ibanez wh10. sounds like that's what you want, but keep in mind the {censored}ing off button is right under and it doesn't "click" like on other wahs, it just goes on and off if you get near it, real bitch to master.

• Members

This. Had a Teese which l loved. Prefer the Wilson Rippah Q 12 position.

• Members

I never owned the Clyde but tried one, (so take it for what its worth) but I didn't get it at all. It just didn't do anything for me. For a little less dough you could try Dunlop Jerry Cantrell or CAE wah. CAE is kinda a popular choice, but it really is like a custom Crybaby, true bypass and two different wah styles plus a boost switch (which I haven't needed to use yet).

Archived