So I just released my first EP

alexb631

• Members

HCFX has always been there to help me with my gear purchases, a lot of which ended up on my recordings. I'd love for you guys to check it out and give me advice for future ventures.

http://electricbedroom.bandcamp.com/

Also, feel free to talk about the guitar gear used on it...it's mostly

Gibson SG- Stigtronix Tremolo - Timmy - EHX BIg Muff w/ Tone Wicker - EHX small stone - Malekko 616 - Malekko Spring Chicken - Gibson Super Goldtone amp

I do change it up a little depending on the song...

Also, I don't mean to push my stuff! I just wanted to share :)

• Members

Yeah, I used a Tascam 414

Cool. I'd be interested in hearing how you record them, what did you track first etc..

Anyways:

Okay, I'll be 100% honest with you here. The sounds are all good, I dig them, they flow well. I think the bass lacks a little definition, but they sound good. The problem I hear in them are the melodies. The songs are pretty basic style pop/rock songs, you need a strong melody to really make them stand out, none of the melodies really stood out to me and I couldn't hum a single one if you asked me.

Work on some strong melodies, you've got the chops/sound down.

Take all this with a grain of salt.

Good job.

• Members

Thanks a lot for the honesty man. I know what you mean, and it's definitely something I could work on in the future. I guess singing melodies were never my thing, so I just kind of went at it as just putting as much into it "feeling" wise as possible and seeing what I got, and I liked what I got, but in the future I could do a little more work with the melodies, definitely.

as far as the recording process goes...

3 of the songs - Drums/Rhythm Guitar/Bass all live first. On one song I kept the live rhythm guitar and then on two I played the rhythm guitar quiet live and then I went back on another track and re-did it and used the first track as just a drums and bass track. Then I did lead guitar and then vocals. Also on one of the songs since I did two vocal tracks, I did the lead guitar on one of the vocal tracks after the singing was over for the song.

On one of the songs I did rhythm guitar, then drums, then I dumped those onto one track, then I did the bass and since I had the original drum track still i put bass and drums on another track, then I did lead then vocals.

On the last song I did a lot of combining of tracks, I started with rhythm guitar and drum machine, then bass, then I did one guitar with tremolo on it, then a lead guitar, then vocals.

I also used mostly either an sm57 or sm48 for basically everything. I'm not sure if that answered your question on the process! Let me know if you have any others...my info might be a little faulty, I did some of the recordings towards the beginning of the summer so I may have forgotten a few things. Also, this was my first time ever really recording anything on my own...my friend helped record a couple of the tracks.

Archived