Want: single coil sized humbucker for my strat

IRG

• Members

Yup, I think I want to do this. I never use the bridge pickup on my road worn strat (tex mex singles in all 3 positions). I love the neck setting, the middle is alright too. But the bridge is too bright. i think have a humbucker of some sort there would make this guitar more versatile as well. It also needs to be sort of a vintageish off white color.

What is there to recommend?

• Members

If you want off-white, you need to go DiMarzio. Seymour Duncan tend to only do white or black.

I had an SD Little 59 once which I really liked, though I really really dislike the SD Hotrails.

I haven't personally tried a DiMarzio single coil sized HB, but my recent experience with full sized DiMarzio HBs is that they tend to sound way better than the nearest SD equivalent.

• Members

Wire the bridge pickup to the tone knob

You mean the current pickup that's in there? I think the tone control does work with the bridge pickup. I want more of a heavier crunch from this pickup anyway, so the single coil may go just because of that. But if I put in a humbucker type, I will wire it with the tone control. And have no tone control for the middle pickup. Or maybe the upper tone control can be used with neck and middle single coils together.

• Members

not sure about the offwhite colour BUT I had the DiMarzio Billy Corgan pickup in the bridge of my G&L Legacy and it sounded great. Before that I had the Lil 59 which i didn't like at all

Yeah that BC- pickup seems really interesting, I like the design philosophy description a lot. Wonder how it would mate with single coils in the rest of the guitar. Maybe I should just change them too.

• Members

Yeah that BC- pickup seems really interesting, I like the design philosophy description a lot. Wonder how it would mate with single coils in the rest of the guitar. Maybe I should just change them too.

As hot as the specs say it is I found it matched up really well with stock single coils in the legacy

• Members

IMO that's the best way to do it. I have a bridge HB on it's own tone pot, and the neck/middle both share the other tone pot. There's a wealth of tones there right at my fingertips.

Yeah I agree, I think that's the way I might go too. I was just playing around the DiMarzio site, and you type in the kind of guitar you have, the wood, your amp, whether you want single coil or noise canceling, the type of music you're after and the goal of your tone (I went with warmer and fatter, which is exactly what I don't have right now with my strat) and the three choice were the BC-2, (Billy Corgan), a Tone Zone and the Super Distortion. I like the idea of the BC-2 the best right now, and it comes in creme so win.

• Members

Another question - if I change the bridge pickup to something like these DiMarzio blades (bc-2) do I need to change the tone pot as well? What about the volume pot?

I left the stock 250K pot in my legacy and it worked out fine.

• Members

Wish it came in creme. Wouldn't look right on the Roadworn being stark white.

Hmmm...you're right.

That really sucks because it would be a great option. I've always been a fan of JB's/JB JR's in Strats, just works out to be a great combo.

• Members

DIMARZIO all the way - virtual vintage solo pro (if you can find one) sounds like a pissed off P90 in the bridge. also the rail style humbuckers that fit in a single coil slot are really good.

AND.......like other guys suggested -- wire the tone knob to the bridge pickup, and roll off the tone to about 6-7 - it's what Eric Johnson does -- are you gonna argue with EJ? :)

Archived