OT: Is M-Audio Venom Right For Me?

Kubenzi

• Members

I need a keyboard/soft synth controller. Would like to have some stand-alone sounds.

I also need a soundcard/interface for my Imac/Macbook pro 13in to get my guitar signal up in dem bitches.

Is the Venom right up my alley, or does anyone here suggest two different seperate pieces due to bad experiences with the Venom or just M-audio in general?

I read a few comments on the venom in the keys forum, but need guitar-centric minds to weigh in, so if you can, many thanks:wave:

I was quite impressed with the sounds in the Venom when I messed around with it at NAMM last year. It's a solid keyboard IMHO, but I have heard a few reports that M-Audio / Avid has not been as forthcoming with software editor / OS updates / bug fixes as they could have been. I don't know how true that is or not, or if they've fixed things since I heard that, but it's worth noting so you can look into it.

The synth is a 12 voice virtual analog, with really punchy and aggressive sounds. It should work fine as a controller for use with softsynths.

As far as its usefulness as an audio interface, I know it has interface features, but I have not really used those, so I have no idea how it does in that regard.

Have you checked out Craig Anderton's Pro Review of the Venom? Craig's a guitarist...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2736428-M-Audio-Venom-Synthesizer#

• Members

I bought a venom since I needed a standalone controller and it wasn't much more than the same sized m-audio controller. it's not bad but I haven't had great experience with it due

to firmware issues and lack of support. much of that was finally fixed or at least lessened in the last update.

if you want dirty, buzzy synths, I think it's as good as it gets in the price range. if you want mellow, realistic pianos or pads/drones, look elsewhere. if you plan on using it as your primary interface, look elsewhere, it's not that good. if you want a real basic controller, it does it's job unless you want synced arrpegiator and sequenced synths, the midi clock drifts (not as bad with the update, but still not perfect). if you want something to travel with and take a beating, look elsewhere, it's m-audio and you get what you pay for. if you like preprogramming your patches it's good to go. if you tweak live and can't have a computer available to do the editing, you'll be very limited.

in the end, if purchased new it's pretty good for its price. there are better options out there, but usually you'll have to spend a fair bit more if you don't search for deals on used gear. you'll have to weigh the pros & cons & your budget, and try it yourself to really know if it's worth it.

Archived