Tell me about the Throbak Stonebender.....

• Members

I am not really a gain connoisseur, I like balancing on the edge of breakup with my Pork Loin, thinking I need something to goose it for sustained type solos (while also sounding good on it's own), when I'm not going for the synth sounds of my Microsynth. I have dark sounding amps, 6V6 and EL84's, so I am thinking Germanium to brighten up the tone a bit when I need it.

• Members

If you don't care about bass, a tonebender or treble booster might be great. I've had the Throbak, and returned it. Maybe I'm just not a tonebender guy. But the loss of lower end bothered me. But if you play live and/or have a bass player you probably won't miss it. The Mad Prof Ruby Red Booster is a nice gain that adds just some grit, but not tons. Lots of added volume too if you need it.

• Members
If you don't care about bass, a tonebender or treble booster might be great. I've had the Throbak, and returned it. Maybe I'm just not a tonebender guy. But the loss of lower end bothered me. But if you play live and/or have a bass player you probably won't miss it. The Mad Prof Ruby Red Booster is a nice gain that adds just some grit, but not tons. Lots of added volume too if you need it.

I don't want to lose the bottom, I wasn't aware that that was the nature of the Tone Bender type pedals. Good to know, thanks! :thu::wave:

• Members

A Tonebender will give you gobs of gain - if you just want some hair on top and a milder gain push, I'd get a Treble Booster instead.

I have never tried a Treble Booster, well maybe I have, I had one of those Vox Cooltron pedals with the tube in it, Brit Boost I think it was called. It had a Treble Boost side and full spectrum side if I recall. I had an Orange at the time, and it was a picky bitch about pedals, so I sold it. Hmmm...I guess I'll try a Treble Booster soon, thanks!

• Members

I am playing a Les Paul type guitar, I have never gotten a Fuzzface to work for me,......probably user fail.

Also likely that it's just not the sound you're looking for. I only bring it up because I have a porky loinster and pretty much every fuzz is amazing with it.

• Members

I'm not simpatico with most of the predilections on here either. What are you looking at a Tonebender for if you're not into fuzz?

it is a type of fuzz that I haven't tried yet, Fuzzface, Big Muff no dice....I have an opportunity to get a Throbak cheap....

• Members

You might wanna look at the Analogman AstroTone Fuzz too - it's killer and is perfectly suited for a humbucker + combo amp set-up like you've got. Not a ton of gain, really great Tone control, pretty much impossible to get a bad sound out of it.

It is similar to a Treble Booster except it doesn't have as prominent a midrange bump to it.

Every try a Skreddy Screw Driver? That's one you should look at too I think.

• Members

it is a type of fuzz that I haven't tried yet, Fuzzface, Big Muff no dice....I have an opportunity to get a Throbak cheap....

Oh word. I feel like if you didn't like a fuzz face you might not like a tone bender. They're somewhat similar.

Maybe you could look into a Germ4 Big Muff, which isn't even a Big Muff... it's a really nice textured overdrive/distortion thing. Sounds cool, is cheap, a lot of people like it.

• Members

Eh - I rarely buy anything over $200 when it comes to pedals, I think the most I've ever paid was $300 for the HBOD but I've used it constantly for the past 5 years so it's more than paid for itself. {censored} I haven't paid more than $500 for an amp since 1994!

:eekphil:

• Members

Tonebenders are the bee's knees. I'm planning on making a few when I get my parts in. I've also owned a Monsterpiece MKII and a MKIII. Great Tonebender pedals and you can adjust the character with the input bias so make it more of a fuzzy overdrive. Don't know if he still makes those, might have to go used.

• Members

Eh - I rarely buy anything over $200 when it comes to pedals, I think the most I've ever paid was $300 for the HBOD but I've used it constantly for the past 5 years so it's more than paid for itself. {censored} I haven't paid more than $500 for an amp since 1994!

:eekphil:

both of my amps were less than $200.....

Archived