Sound City

BrentMpls

• Members

carrier street wrote:

I watched the other night.  I thought it was really well done, and quite interesting, but I took issue with some of it.  Watch it and report back here what you think.

Just finished watching it - I thought it was pretty great. 

What did you take issue with? 

For the first half hour/hour brought back (mostly bad) memories of arguing that took place in the studios I've been in - egos clashing and all that. 

I very much agree with a lot of the romantisicm / real difference by recording analog vs digital, but the practicality of it for most folks isn't there these days, I think there are some fun lessons to take away from the approach though. Another thing that I don't think hits home for a lot of the rock star types is they have lived the dream in one form or another their whole lives, even when they were dirt poor with a dream. Not having a day job and grinding away doesn't really factor in. 

Great movie, really enjoyed it. 

• Members

I just watched it last night and loved it though. Definitely strange to think about the fact that a lot of musicians in the future may never get to record in an actual studio with analog gear and tape decks. Also, did anyone else find it strange that Rick Springfield was in the film so much? Maybe I'm too young, but wasn't be just a one hit wonder? Haha

• Members

Blakemore wrote:

Also, did anyone else find it strange that Rick Springfield was in the film so much? Maybe I'm too young, but wasn't be just a one hit wonder? Haha

His significance was big with that studio in that he generated it a lot of money and was a product from one of the owners. I thought Grohl being so excited to play with him was the odd part. 

He was definetly a 80s icon though, {censored}ty acting and other songs that were popular at the time. 

• Members

Blakemore wrote:

I just watched it last night and loved it though. Definitely strange to think about the fact that a lot of musicians in the future may never get to record in an actual studio with analog gear and tape decks. Also, did anyone else find it strange that Rick Springfield was in the film so much? Maybe I'm too young, but wasn't be just a one hit wonder? Haha

dude his hit wasn't Butterfly or Bittersweet Symphony, it was {censored}ing Jessie's Girl.

There are very few songs on this planet that come even close to the catchiness of that tune. absolute masterpiece.

I'm supposed to be retired but I'm a sucker for Jessie's Girl.

• Members

tom92 wrote:

Watched it today and really enjoyed it. Definitely agree about the drums and that room.

The song Trent, Homme and Grohl did was amazing. Homme's baseline oozed cool.

I definitely liked that one, but honestly, I think my favorite song they were recording in Grohl's studio was the one with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at the end. I was really digging that one.

Archived