Anyone end up getting the new Bass VI?

Strat87

• Members

There was a bunch of hoopla about the new pawn shop guitars, haven't seen anything since they came out.

I played a sunburst VI and thought it was neat but ultimately something I don't need at that price point. Perhaps I'll pick up a used one when they start popping up.

• Members

I'm hoping in a couple weeks to make a trip to a couple music stores around here. Hopefully one has one.

The idea and the look appeal to me but I'm not sure if I'd ever use it. I have a a nice P Bass I'm fond of, and really only moonlight on bass so it's silly to have bunch of them.

Having never held one, I wonder if they could be restrung/setup as a baritone without much trouble. I'd love to mess around with something like that. One of my hobbies lately has been layering instrumental melodies and textures. Think orchestral stuff but with lots of guitar based sounds. Nothing to release or that has any cohesive point, just for fun. A baritone would be really useful in that regards I think. 

Long story short, though, I'd really like to try one out. 

carrier street wrote:

I love it $500, I hate it at the actual price point.

To me, the price point is pretty incredible - especially when you consider just how much less the MIM Bass VI is compared to every other similar release (Bass VI / Jaguar Baritone) that Fender has ever done. The current Bass VI goes for $800 new - that's a heck of a lot less than the previous ones cost - even used.

If I didn't already have a Danelectro Baritone, I'd be all over a Bass VI at that price. As it is, it's still incredibly tempting AFAIC... YMMV.

• Members

@mr benn re: mastery bridge (HTF do you quote in this place?)

while I love the mastery bridge on my jazzmaster and think its a huge improvement over the stock bridge, maybe look into finding a bridge from the 2012 Japanese reissue, if it fits it may be a cheaper option (maybe?) and is a lot better than the basic jazzmaster style bridge. I've only has the Bass VI for a little over a week so it's a bit early to say, but I've played pretty hard on it and have't had any string slippage on it.

I'm almost considering putting a humbucker in the bridge position like the pawnshop VIs have to get a bit more growl, but I'm in no rush to so any major changes yet. it's with my tech right now for intonation and setup, it had a bit of buzz I couldn't get rid of, turns out the neck is more bowed than I thought, I'm hoping its an easy fix and I don't have to take it back.

Archived