Soldering Iron Recommendations

brokenfixed

• Members

Gonna be rewiring my board. I got cable and connectors coming in, was looking to get a decent soldering iron. Something a little better than my $15 Radio Shack piece. Dont know much about temperture adjustment capability or any other features. Under $100 would be cool....school me

• Members

if you want to go all out and have a nice rig for all things pedal related:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-Analog-Soldering-Station/dp/B000BRC2XU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1389027733&sr=1-1&keywords=weller

cheaper route but realistically all you should need.  it doesn't have a temperature feedback from the tip of the iron so temps can fluctuate as you use it (not ideal).

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-Soldering-Hobbyist-Yourselfer/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305842734&sr=8-2-fkmr0

• Members

I got a dirt cheap Aoyue 936 soldering station not too long ago. Its basicly a Hakko clone if Im not mistakin. Perfect for pcb work, cables, pots, etc,...

Feels just as solid as my old weller station, and I personally can't justfify spending more, at least not until I'm a daily/heavy/pro electronics wizard...

Mr.scary96 wrote:

I've used a 25watt Weller that works just fine for modding guitars/pedals and fixing cables. I think the model is a sp23l. Just don't use those battery powered ones those are a pain in the rear to get them hot enough

That's SO true! My wife bought me one of those battery powered "cold heat" irons a few years ago, and it was pretty worthless. She even got the "pro" model. Didn't matter - it was still pretty weak and not very reliable. You had to get the tip placed "just so" to get it to heat up, and even then, it took forever. It's still around here someplace, but I never use it. I couldn't in good conscience recommend it.

• Members

And it ate AA batteries too! It eventually quit on me so I bought what people suggested to me which they said 25 watts have enough heat to melt the solder. 2 years later I recapped/modded my 66-7' Gibson GA-15RVT, fixed my EHX Double Muff and changed the transistors on it and the diodes and countless guitar mods

Archived