Low Watt Tube heads

Re_e_ve_s

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My buddy Mark May who used to play in the Derek Trucks and Dickey Betts band used to use a combo version playing Clubs here in Houston for a number of years. It may have been the 55 watt version but I do remember it having 2X12's so it may have been the 22W version. His does mostly Blues stuff with allot of Allman Brother and Santana type guitar stuff mixed in. He used that Bugera and a Rivera together and get some really decent tones happening. I played through it a few times and thought it was a pretty good setup for a small club for doing Classic rock and Blues. You can get any tones you want using pedals for drive of course but I don't thing it would it wouldn't be my first choice for doing heavier hard rock or metal.

• Members

I asked the question JCS22 or the DSL20 on The Gear Page and the majority was for Jet City. I also want a decent clean sound. I'd rather not use pedals if possible, which for what I want to play I probably won't need to (TS or a ZW if anything) thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

look, if you are not playing with a band, then a 5w tube amp [or even a 1W, for that matter] will give you plenty of grind....but keep in mind that a 20W amp is not 4x louder than a 5w, it is really not much louder at all. The reason I suggested the Marshall was the ability to use the half power setting, but you still have enough 'oomph' if you ever go out and play with a live drummer. Plus, you don't have to run the amp at 10...

• Members
look' date=' if you are not playing with a band, then a 5w tube amp [or even a 1W, for that matter'] will give you plenty of grind....but keep in mind that a 20W amp is not 4x louder than a 5w, it is really not much louder at all. The reason I suggested the Marshall was the ability to use the half power setting, but you still have enough 'oomph' if you ever go out and play with a live drummer. Plus, you don't have to run the amp at 10...

The Randall RVC is a 5 Watt head that's typically cheap used. Sometimes under $150. It was a special model made for Guitar Center. Could be worth a look at that price if the OP can find one. The difference between 5 Watts and 20 Watts is 6 dB. You can hear it but no, it's not "four times as loud." You'd need a factor of 100 for that.

Archived