How much gain does a Marshall Super Lead plexi reissue have ?

mbengs1

• Members

I thought it doesn't have much since it's a vintage amp. even less than the JCM 800, which is an overdrive amp. Maybe it has very little breakup or the least gain among the most popular Marshalls? Can anybody show on video how much gain the 70's marshall has? I like the sound a lot. Great alternative to the JCM series Marshalls.

• Members

I have this solid state amp. The RX120h of Laney. It has some good sounds. like jcm 800 when the gain is at 8, 900 when the gain is at 9, and 2000 when the gain is maxed. and also sounds like a peavey 5150 without the 'xts' engaged. But I think it can sounds like a Super lead too with the gain at 7. I will try it tomorrow with a distortion pedal in front. this will be exciting.

• Members
I have this solid state amp. The RX120h of Laney. It has some good sounds. like jcm 800 when the gain is at 8' date=' 900 when the gain is at 9, and 2000 when the gain is maxed. and also sounds like a peavey 5150 without the 'xts' engaged. But I think it can sounds like a Super lead too with the gain at 7. I will try it tomorrow with a distortion pedal in front. this will be exciting. [/quote']

Super leads are an old school amp. Compared to modern day amps, they don't distort a lot, until you push them. Think AC/DC. The sound you hear coming off a cranked Marshall is power amp distortion and not so much pre amp distortion.

Remember, these maps were developed, before the invention of PA gear as we know it today. They didn't mic amps back then, so what was coming out of the amp, was what the audience heard as well as what the guitarist heard.

You kind of need to develop you own sound. I tend not to use a lot of gain, but have owned many Mesa amps along the way.

It's all about having fun and playing around.

You are using some rather large amp to record with.

If you can find a little 5 watt amp, I'd grab one, for recording.

I have a bunch of small combos, include a Marshall Class 5.

Marshall Origin20H 20W Tube Guitar Amp Head

Marshall SV20H Studio Vintage 20/5-watt Tube Head

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SV20H--marshall-sv20h-studio-vintage-20-5-watt-tube-head?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3157640887&rkg_id=0&product_id=SV20H&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Not%20In%20Stock&adgroup=Guitars&placement=google&adpos=1o3&creative=105593157841&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6e6Trvyz4AIVRCaGCh25uAAXEAQYAyABEgIVtvD_BwE

• Members

The Plexi's like most amps of their time were designed to produce clean tube amp tones until they were pushed beyond their normal operating levels. Overdrive and distortion were seen as a bad characteristic, a defect, not something good.

It wasn't till overdriving a signal was made a fad by many of the notable players who pioneered the use of Fuzz that amps actually started adding drive to circuits. Vox and Moserite were two of the companies who lead the way there. Vox built distortion into pedals and guitars and Moserite built them into pedals and amps.

Marshall and Fender only made clean amps and its was the players who pushed them to overdrive. AC/DC used 100W Marshalls with no additional effects, just cranking the amps with a guitar that had hot pickups. Before that people like Clapton were using a Dallas Arbiter to push his amps into saturation. Black Sabbath for example used clean amps and used the Dallas Arbiter to push the tubes to drive in the upper mids. Listen to their first album and you'll discover just how little drive was actually used back in those days to get what was considered a "heavy metal" sound.

• Members

I made a track using my laney RX120h with a randall 4x12. The gain is on 7 and it sounds like 70's marshall. does it ? please listen and see if you can tell. I used boss sd-1 to push it and mxr zakk wylde phase all over the lead track.

• Members
[h=2]How much gain does a Marshall Super Lead plexi reissue have ?[/h]

more than enough, just don't stand in front of it....

Or you'll end up looking like this.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"11c83a2f50cf231e301d2c3e7c7e92bf.gif","data-attachmentid":32474594}[/ATTACH]

• Moderators

pffft...Bengs...you have your priorities all wrong. Forget about gain... gain can be had with little boxes...look for tonal quality.

It is like 'clean headroom' from a tube amp...why? Get a SS amp if all you want is clean headroom.

More to the point, these amps are DINOSAURS. Their time came and went, before you were born, I know, I was there, I had an SL100 with a beefed up OT, and it was bReWtAl...but overkill, heavy, oversized and in today's world, unnecessary.. There really isn't much you will get from a JCM900 you can't get from a DSL40. Except proxemic air movement.

Stop listening to people who are mired in mythical thinking. You are looking for a unicorn, when what you need is a plowhorse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My favorite Marshall was the 1967 Marshall Plexi 50W Head I used to own. It had everything the 100W version had at reasonable DB levels you could use playing live. You could crank the head and it would begin to drive at 3/4 volume and you didn't need to wear ear plugs. It was a perfect match playing with guitarists who used amps like Fender Vox Ampeg etc too.

I only knew a few small club players who used the 100W Plexi's back in the 70's. They mostly played Disco and Motown stuff where the guitar parts needed to be loud and clean in dance clubs. I truly wasn't a disco fan myself and preferred lower wattage amps cranked up. I use this setup now for most stuff But I do have additional setups.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0474B.jpg","data-attachmentid":32487597}[/ATTACH]

Here's a Guest rig. The 4X10 cab has a fender M80 head built in which cant be seen from the front.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0472.JPG","data-attachmentid":32487598}[/ATTACH]

Archived