Greetings all! I hope I got this right.

CamaroKid2SS

• Members

So, after a 5+ year hiatus I have decided to pick up playing guitar again. I never realized how much I missed playing. I've been lurking around here and reading and listening to clips of many amps. I dove back in and just went and purchased a Peavey Invictive half stack.(120 head and 4X12 matching cab). Wow, what an awesome amp i ended up with! It's so nice to not need a Decimator and OD808 up front and an EQ in the loop right off the bat just to get the amp to sound "right" to me. The Invictive has a built in gate and boost that work flawlessly in place of those pedals. So my amp project is complete. Now to finish it up, i want Ax FX III and I'm done. I hope I've done good, as I probably will never be able afford this stunt again. So tell me how to properly set up an Axe. How does that work? Thanks for all help in advance!

• Members
So' date=' after a 5+ year hiatus I have decided to pick up playing guitar again. I never realized how much I missed playing. I've been lurking around here and reading and listening to clips of many amps. I dove back in and just went and purchased a Peavey Invictive half stack.(120 head and 4X12 matching cab). Wow, what an awesome amp i ended up with! It's so nice to not need a Decimator and OD808 up front and an EQ in the loop right off the bat just to get the amp to sound "right" to me. The Invictive has a built in gate and boost that work flawlessly in place of those pedals. So my amp project is complete. Now to finish it up, i want Ax FX III and I'm done. I hope I've done good, as I probably will never be able afford this stunt again. So tell me how to properly set up an Axe. How does that work? Thanks for all help in advance![/quote']

Welcome back.

Can't really help you with the Axe FX III set up, as I just play mostly old school amps and use a pedalboard with effects of my choice. The Axe FX III looks like a pretty powerful processor. IMO a 4x14 cab sounds good, but it's a lot of cabinet to haul around, but if it works for you, then you did right.

• Members

Welcome back.

Can't really help you with the Axe FX III set up, as I just play mostly old school amps and use a pedalboard with effects of my choice. The Axe FX III looks like a pretty powerful processor. IMO a 4x14 cab sounds good, but it's a lot of cabinet to haul around, but if it works for you, then you did right.

​​​​​​Thank you for the Greeting!

Fortunate for me I'm just a closet player and won't be lugging around my gear for a long time, if ever. I just purchased my first guitar in a long time too. I snagged an Ibanez RGIX6DLB. Seemed like a good place to start.

Now I thought that the Axe FX hooks up to like monitor speakers and an amp, not like just a cab? Couldn't be that easy could it?

• Members

Happy New Amp and Guitar Day. You have way more amp than I'd ever need. Even in half power mode it's gonna be loud. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about Axe FX for now. See what your amp can do sans effects (I note that it doesn't appear to have any built in effects) and add specific pedals from there if you need/want them.

• Members
Happy New Amp and Guitar Day. You have way more amp than I'd ever need. Even in half power mode it's gonna be loud. Frankly' date=' I wouldn't worry about Axe FX for now. See what your amp can do sans effects (I note that it doesn't appear to have any built in effects) and add specific pedals from there if you need/want them.[/quote']

Thank you! I'm excited to hear this thing roar. My guitar doesn't come till Wed. I looked into the Axe FX more. It's totally out of my league. I'm not even a good enough player yet to justify getting one. I'm going to invest into a couple of pedals and maybe a really nice guitar instead. I'm curious why more fans of the 6505+ aren't getting the Invective. It's totally that amp (literally) with improvements and features. I guess the price is a setback for most. I will say this, the Invective cab is pure tonal bliss. Best cab I've ever heard.

if you guys get a chance, give one a listen.

• Members
Please just do not move in next door to me...:wave:

Oh, I'm not a jerk, I would never be that inconsiderate. My neighbors let me know when I can let it rip and when it's time to ease her on down, lol. In turn, when it's date night and my neighbors want to let their home theater shake the earth I look (and listen) the other way also. I'm very lucky. Man, I've been listening to some Randall amp clips. I'm really digging them. I think I passed over them to quickly. What you say?

I'm still happy with the Invective. Lots of tones exist in it and the clean channel must be the Peavey Classic circuit tweaked. It's amazing. I cannot say enough good things about the Gate too. It's not aggressive unless you want it to be. Its noise free. My ISP Decimator is no longer needed. Same goes for boost button. Instant OD808. Nice.

UPDATE- Also tried some EL34's in the Invective. Instant Marshall roar. I'm really impressed. I'm not sure which tubes to stick with.

• Members

Just a little update on the Invictive half stack. I love the amp. I'm so glad I didn't just go by the clips I heard online. They aren't bad, just misleading imo.The amp has to be dialed in with effort. A welcome first from Peavey. I kid. The lead channel is most definitely an updated/reworked 6505+++ circuit. The low end is just simply gutpunchingly brutal, and being able to pull great sounding mids out of it now is cool too. The distortion isn't all fizzy either, unless you dial that in on purpose. The onboard boost and noise gate work flawlessly, no noticeable decay noise or anything. The clean channel needs to be heard to be believed. Classic 50 clean! You can build a pedalboard on it like a blank slate. Changing tubes and biasing on the fly is a breeze. Take back panel off and everything is right there and easy to reach. I've noticed open box deals online for like $1,500 for it. That's a steal! I definitely can recommend people give this a play through. It's by FAR the best amp Peavey has ever made.If you're a fan of the 5150/6505 series of Peavey amps, this is the amp for you. Forgot to mention, the cab, and I can't believe I'm typing this, is one of the best, most bad ass 4X12's I've ever heard and it has the Peavey logo on it!

Edit: I didn't mean to pick on Peavey as I've owned a lot of their gear over the years, but it's about time they started building amps and cabs like the Invictive. Finally, a Peavey cab with Celestions in them instead of Sheffields? Blue Marvels? C'mon those speakers were a turn off for all the obvious reasons. If you're wondering what I'm talking about here go play through one of those new Invictive cabs. It's like WOW! Now that sounds KILLER!

Archived