Head Recommendations for Ampeg 610 bass cab?

johnbarnesiii

• Members

Hi guys, I have the Ampeg 610 hlf Bass cabinet and I’m looking to buy a bass head for it. What would you recommend?

I play heavy rock. The cab is 600 watts. I can’t afford the Ampeg SVT CL, my budget is closer to $500, give or take. I like warm tones but I feel like solid state is cheaper and more in my budget?? I’ve heard about the the Ampeg PF 800 that is a consideration, but open to more suggestions.

I like tones in the realm of Lemmy, Eric Avery, David WM Sims (Jesus Lizard), etc. Basically warm & dirty but I realize I can get dirt from a pedal so just need something loud enough for heavy rock band.

If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to let me know here, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

• Members

Cool, can’t say that I have heard of Ashdown but I’ll check em out. I was trying to stay in brand of Ampeg so as to match my cab but I’m still open to others of course. I was considering the Ampeg SVT 7 or the PF 800, however I’ve seen reviews on both that mentioned them spontaneously cutting out live. Need something more reliable of course!

• Members

Just get an Ampeg Portaflex head. You'll get the best tone matching apples with apples. I recommend the 500W or 800W version over the 350W which I own and find a bit wimpy sounding. The Portaflex have high wattage ratings but you'll find any SS class D head being overrated when it comes to actual loudness and where you'd want to run the head. The 500W is going to be fine for rehearsals and medium venues unmiced. The 800W version will be fine for medium and large gigs unmiced and have that extra headroom a bass plyer typically likes having to sound ultra clean.

The V4B is great option too if you're thinking about a tube head. I used one for 10 years playing out live and still wish I had it. They nail the sound the stones had during the Sticky Fingers/Gimmie Shelter years. The V4B is by far the best sounding Ampeg bass head besides the SVT which is typically too large for anything but concert venues. The Portaflex Tube head was the most popular, great for recording and was used to get all those great Motown recordings. Playing Live it cant handle anything but the smallest gigs unless its miced up and then it can sound quite excellent.

• Members
Cool' date=' can’t say that I have heard of Ashdown but I’ll check em out. I was trying to stay in brand of Ampeg so as to match my cab but I’m still open to others of course. I was considering the Ampeg SVT 7 or the PF 800, however I’ve seen reviews on both that mentioned them spontaneously cutting out live. Need something more reliable of course![/quote']

I have a very old Ashdown 4x10 ABM 4x10 combo. I like it

Although I'm mostly a guitar player I use this beast in my home studio. The UK made stuff is a bit on the costly end.

The import Asdowns stuff looks about the same.

Ampeg also makes an Ampeg Micro-VR 200W Bass Amp Head, that might be with looking at.

• Members
Thanks guys' date=' I’m also considering the orange terror bass hybrid head, as well as the ob1-500 solid state. Would these be loud enough? Thoughts on their tone and power as compared with the Ampeg heads we’ve mentioned?[/quote']

I thought your budget was about $500? Those heads are $800-900 new. That's a big jump.

• Members

Yes that’s true. I’ve considered stretching my budget a little and I was blown away with what I heard from those Oranges. I’m still open to used too and I’ve seen some Terrors going for around $650 used so I figure around $150 outside budget is doable still.

I thought your budget was about $500? Those heads are $800-900 new. That's a big jump.

• Members
Yes that’s true. I’ve considered stretching my budget a little and I was blown away with what I heard from those Oranges. I’m still open to used too and I’ve seen some Terrors going for around $650 used so I figure around $150 outside budget is doable still.

Okay then, best of luck. I don't usually associate them with bass gear but Orange makes some nice amps.

• Members
Hi guys, I have the Ampeg 610 hlf Bass cabinet and I’m looking to buy a bass head for it. What would you recommend?

I play heavy rock. The cab is 600 watts. I can’t afford the Ampeg SVT CL, my budget is closer to $500, give or take. I like warm tones but I feel like solid state is cheaper and more in my budget?? I’ve heard about the the Ampeg PF 800 that is a consideration, but open to more suggestions.

I like tones in the realm of Lemmy, Eric Avery, David WM Sims (Jesus Lizard), etc. Basically warm & dirty but I realize I can get dirt from a pedal so just need something loud enough for heavy rock band.

If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to let me know here, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Made in NYC

Aguilar amps are really nice.

Scroll down and some reviewer name Joe Martin pairs his up with the exact cab you have.

It's about the same price as the Orange amp, which is way more than your initial budget.

The Aguilar DB 750 and DB 751 are their flagship bass heads, used by tour bass players around the world. The 750 is no longer made and the prices are 1/2 that of the 751. They also weigh like 40 lbs. The Tone Hammer stuff is like 5 lbs

They also make a Tone Hammer 500 and 350.

[video=youtube;4jVCDjOb6co]

Archived