LaneyVH100r

Tr3xFr0mH3ll

• Members

Hey! New here and this is my first post!

So I play a Laney VH100r. I mostly play D Standard tuned death metal. I absolutely LOVE my Laney but since it's a pretty bright amp I just can't quite get the sound I'm looking for. I'm trying to achieve something like the "Swedish Buzzsaw" or a Behemoth-esque sound. What could I possibly do to get closer to my desired tone? Currently available to me is a TCE Dark Matter, Boss MT-2 and Donner Noise Killer. Unfortunately I cannot afford a couplehundred dollar pedals so I need recommendations on what to purchase and some decent settings to have everything set at. I use an EspLtd Ex-400, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II Dr. Skull and just purchased a Gibson explorer but it has not arrived yet. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to HC!

I’m not up to date on the bands / styles / sounds you are looking for, but if the main issue is that your tone / amp are too bright, maybe a graphic EQ would be a good investment? That would allow you to tailor the overall tonal balance, and it wouldn’t cost too much - the Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ is inexpensive, but a good pedal...

• Members
Hey! New here and this is my first post!

So I play a Laney VH100r. I mostly play D Standard tuned death metal. I absolutely LOVE my Laney but since it's a pretty bright amp I just can't quite get the sound I'm looking for. I'm trying to achieve something like the "Swedish Buzzsaw" or a Behemoth-esque sound. What could I possibly do to get closer to my desired tone? Currently available to me is a TCE Dark Matter, Boss MT-2 and Donner Noise Killer. Unfortunately I cannot afford a couplehundred dollar pedals so I need recommendations on what to purchase and some decent settings to have everything set at. I use an EspLtd Ex-400, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II Dr. Skull and just purchased a Gibson explorer but it has not arrived yet. Thanks

I looked up Patryk Seth Sztyber's the guitarist for Behemoth to see what he was using. He's listed as a Mesa Boogie artist. Now it also said that he used a Mesa Rectifier, how on the Mesa site he is seen with a Mark V. I also looked up Adam Darski the singer who plays guitar, and he plays a Mesa Road King II. I'm not a metal guitar player, but Rectifiers and Marks can get a really thick tone. I have owned many Mesa amps, but they were early rectifiers. I have also owned a rectifier ext cab and it was pretty deep. They are really nice. I watch one vid of Behemoth and there was a couple of 5105's on side of the stage.

Your best bet is to see if you can dime out the bass, and scoop the mids a bit, then add what you need for treble. I think if you push the drive on the Laney and it's still not enough gain, add TCE Dark or the Matter, Boss MT-2 and see which one gets you where you want to be. I think the Boss pedal is your best bet in trying to refine this sound.

You might have to let the amp work less, with less gain and drive the pedal.

I personally don't think you need to spend a dime more, unless you want to replace that Laney.

Archived