Randall rg3003h

ThatOneRhythemGuitarist

• Members

hello im pretty new at this so sorry if this is a super obvious answer. Ive been thinking of getting the Randall rg3003h 300 watt solid state head. What im worried about is that on the back of the head the speaker outputs say minimum 4 ohms and my cabinets are 16 ohms. (I have a marshall full stack right now but my head took a crap so im looking into Randall) i was worried that the head being 4 ohms and my cabs being 16 would that damage the head? Also my cabs are rated at 300 watts a peice so with the head being 300 watts too would that damage my speakers? Thanks

• Members

First, hi and Welcome to the Forum. Second, 16 Ohm cabs won't hurt anything. 4 Ohms is just the minimum load the amp needs in order to function properly. 16 Ohms is fine. In fact, two 16 Ohm cabs in parallel would yield 8 Ohms anyway. Since it's a SS amp you don't need to worry about setting the impedance, just connect your speaker(s) and play. You will probably lose a bit of volume since a SS amp typically won't put out as much power into a higher impedance load but you should still have plenty of power available, maybe 200 Watts or so. You can drive a cab rated for 300 Watts with a 300 Watt amp or a 100 Watt amp. The idea is not to go above what the cab will handle. In practice, your amp won't be putting out anywhere near 300 Watts anyway unless you really push it. And remember what I said about running the cabs in parallel? That means each cab will only receive half the amp's output so probably each will be running on 100 Watts or so. In any event, you'll be fine. Let us know how your new Randall works out for you.

Archived