Best way to setup two amps. Doesn't need to be stereo.

MesaMonster

• Members

I have been using a Egnater Rebel 30 for awhile and I really like the amp. I recently got a H&K GrandMeister 36 which really blows me away. I am looking to use both amps in my new setup. I was thinking of using the GM36 as my dirty amp and the Rebel 30 as my clean amp. I am thinking that doing it this way would add more clarity to my sound but would also thicken up the sound when both amps are running clean. Because I don't have a lot of room in my basement, I put the cab of the GM36 on the floor and the Rebel 30 on top. Is this the best way to setup the speakers or am I asking for trouble. I have both amps running from a Boss MS-3. That way I can turn the clean amp on and off via a patch.

• Members

i run a stereo setup, with two different amps.

what really helps is my sdd-3000 pedal in front of them, i have a ping pong delay setting, left side 100% dry right 100% wet so i can easily check if both have the same volume and adjust if needed

also the preamp of the sdd-3000 can make both more or less louder uni-sono without touching the amp knobs, its really nice to react to the soundguys wishes very quickly in live situations...

that said, what makes my setup easy is the help from the sdd3000 pedal, tweeking two amps to fit/match in a two amp/stereo setup can be a PITA...

for your setup, let your ears teach and guide you, having both cabs on each other is less the issue, than finding an eq setting that you benefit from both amp charactistics without one is blowng over/masks the other and creating together mud...

• Members

Here's my set up.

Radial Bones X- A/B/Y box

It's dead quiet too.

You could run it before afar a stereo delay or chorus.

I run mine at the end of the chain, as I am only switching amps.

It takes batteries, but I have mine hook up to a Voodoo Power II supply, which is under the hood.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"image_110179.jpg","data-attachmentid":32353178}[/ATTACH]

• Members

hehe, not sure if a weekend is enough :)

you know everything sounds different, with a drummer and/or bass player playin at the same time

eq'in is cruical, and for me it was important to find a method how to check the volume of both amps. the pingpong delay was really much help...

also try to find a process, how to dail in your sound, some 3-5 step thing which you make repeatable.

so if one or all of the knobs of your amp gets turned, on purpose or by accident (e.g. loading in or out to a gig) you find quickly back to your sound, without needing another weekend playing with your setup

and yes maybe i exaggerate, but dailing in two amps to sound right is much more difficult than just dealing with one amp..

• Members

I been running a stereo setup in the studio for a good 25years now. I've tried all the possible combinations you can dream up and I get the best results by splitting the signal at the end of the pedal chain with either a stereo chorus or a stereo echo/delay unit.

I've also done it splitting the signal early and running separate pedals throughout but that gets too crazy trying to turn on double pedals, 2 drives, 2 compressors, two chorus etc.

Lately I been using multi effects units with stereo outputs and it seems to have excellent results. Things like rotary speaker and ping pong echoes can sound excellent.

I run the amps clean and get my dirt from pedals. Two main reasons for this. Using one amp for dry and one for clean is technically a pain in the ass when it comes to wiring in pedals too. You could use an A/B/Y switch to do this but getting both amps to run clean or dirty really isn't possible that way and the two amps may not mix well. You'll need to try it of course to know what's right for you.

Playing live, I typically use a single setup. Hauling two amps makes no sense. Once you get a certain distance from the amp you don't hear the stereo sound anyway, plus its twice the gear to haul. I'd only do it now if I needed that extra power, but for stereo Its simply easier to mic an amp and get the stereo effects in the PA to do that. Let the sound man diddle with stereo echo and chorus. I don't need the distraction on stage. I'd rather be packed up and out of there in half the time at the end of the night. In the studio I can leave things setup so its no big deal to simply track two mics instead of one plus one amp might wind up sounding better for a particular song so why not track two if you can.

• 1 month later...

Archived