Peavey classic Tweed 30 head

KjStrat62

• Members

I played in a band with a buddy who had a blonde Peavey Classic 30 combo. Though it looks similar to a Fender and can produce some Fenderish type tomes, its design is actually quite different. The tone stack in most fenders comes after the first gain stage. The Classic 30 has it after the first gain stage in the clean channel mode but stacks gain stages before it on the lead channel.

The times I tried my buddies amp it broke up early and sounded thin compared to the Fender amp I used. Playing together with my buddy however they weren't a bad match. He wound up discovering the cause of the thin tones and breakup were due to worn tubes. The amp uses 4X EL84 power tubes (like a Vox AC30 and others use) The tubes are known to have short lifespans and typically need to be changed once a year in a combo when the amp is used on a weekly basis. He had run at least 3 years playing with me and changed them after the band had split up.

The amps are used by allot of blues guitarists down here in the Houston area. They seem to be a favorite for Blues, Classic Rock and Country music. I did allot of recordings of bands using them too. Like I said it wasn't my cup of tea but its a reliable amp so long as you keep decent tubes in it.

• Moderators

as WRGKMC said, the trick with the Peavey Classic [and Delta Blues amps] is keeping the power tubes fresh. I've 'serviced' a few, and almost every one really just needed a retube [one had a bad capacitor]. Nice amps, reasonably versatile, take pedals well, plenty of headroom for small clubs, sound good mic'ed. Enjoy!

Archived