SHAME on Roland !

Jazzer2020

• Members

I have four Roland amps:

2 Cube 30

2 Cube 40XL

I bought spares for each a year or so ago as backups.

Recently was comparing a P90 guitar through the Cube 30 and Cube 40XL.

No hum in Cube 30 and nasty hum in Cube 40XL.

Same guitar, cable. Only difference was the amp.

Cube 30 is an older amp and has a 3-prong (grounded) plug.

Cube 40XL is a newer amp and has a 2-prong plug.

Why on earth (no pun intended) would Roland not ground their power plug on

an amp?

I re-wired the Cube 40XL just now putting on a grounded plug and

miracle of miracles, no more hum!

Shame on Roland!

No excuse for that. :(

• Members
No Longer Available

all those mfgrs cut corners claiming margins blah blah.

Yeah the do.

Roland isn't really a guitar amp company, it's a consumer electronics company that builds a few crappy amps.

I didn't know if the use a HP molded plug on it, it doses't look like it.

If you really want a 3 prong plug in you amp. Open it up, got to the hardware store and get a black extension cord. Cut off the female side and proper cut back the plastic and strip the 3 wires. Soldier the old cord and soldier in the new one, Now see if you can find a place to soldier the ground to on the chassis.

Now you'll have as electrical cable as long as you want it. See what they have at like Walmart or your local hardware store.

I own a Roland AC 33 myself, when I want to mess around the house. I opened it up once to look at it.Believe me they didn't over build it one bit to much.

When you put it all back together, don't over tighten the screw, the cabinet is made out of MDF and not wood.

Wouldn't bet the first amp I put a longer cord on.

If it still buzzes there another issues. Before you do this all take a test lead and ground it to the chassis.

Watch out you don't ripe the pc board, as they are pretty thin. Even the modern black face Fender amps are starting to looking like the inside of a TV set, with pc boards even on the volume and tone pots.

A few billion penny's here and there can add up to real money. Mesa amps are a little nicer, but still on pc boards. Kinda built likes Fender amps of the later 1970's

• Members

Yeah the do.

Roland isn't really a guitar amp company, it's a consumer electronics company that builds a few crappy amps.

Yeah no kidding!

Check out this laughable 'disclaimer' they have their Chinese manufacturers put on the back of these Canadian version amps:

"THIS CLASS B DIGITAL APPARATUS MEETS ALL REQUIREMENTS OF THE CANADIAN INTERFERENCE-CAUSING EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS"

Is that a joke or what?

Digital apparatus? LOL!

Canadian interference-causing? Ever heard of a 3-prong plug that stops interference???

Regulations? LOL! What happens if someone sues Roland for shock treatment or worse?

• Members

Yeah no kidding!

Check out this laughable 'disclaimer' they have their Chinese manufacturers put on the back of these Canadian version amps:

"THIS CLASS B DIGITAL APPARATUS MEETS ALL REQUIREMENTS OF THE CANADIAN INTERFERENCE-CAUSING EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS"

Is that a joke or what?

Digital apparatus? LOL!

Canadian interference-causing? Ever heard of a 3-prong plug that stops interference???

Regulations? LOL! What happens if someone sues Roland for shock treatment or worse?

I hear ya.

It probably will not happen. Companies have lawyers for this kind of stuff as well as filling for patterns on any new alterations them may come up will.

You do know changing the cord altered the design. :D I actually missed that you did that. You probably have no court case if you fall in to a pool or something. :D Just be careful.

You probably don't or won't see a Roland Cube clone. It probably cost 50 bucks to make and ain't worth anyone's time.

I have Yamaha THR 10C.

I use it a lot, for home practice. I actually did a gig with it at a famous coffee house in Boston. I'm glad I took that, as we had to park a 1/2 mile away. Plus the electrical outlet was 50 feet away and I used the batteries. The travel bag was packaged up when I bought the thing and was nice and handy that day.

One time I plugged a Fender tube amp in at a festal. The electrician wired the out let for 220 and nor 110. Yeah, I was pissed, but the fuse got it. I carry a lot of stuff in a travel accessories case, but not fuses.

We all got our toys.

• Members
. . . Ever heard of a 3-prong plug that stops interference??? . . .

Ever heard of designing and building to a price point? If you want to pay for a hand wired point to point amp be my guest but don't gripe about how much it costs.

Archived