Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you choose a 68 Fender Deluxe RI or a Marshall DSL40CR?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would you choose a 68 Fender Deluxe RI or a Marshall DSL40CR?

    I have an OCD pedal so could get good gain on the 68 Deluxe. The Bassman-like channel intrigues me, but I've heard great things about the Marshall. It would be for home use. I have a 65 Deluxe RI.

    I mostly want to know what other people think of these 2 amps.
    __________________________________________________

    “Allowing the immigration to take place in Europe is a shame. I think it changed the fabric of Europe and, unless you act very quickly, it’s never going to be what it was and I don’t mean that in a positive way.” - President Trump

  • #2
    The 68 silverface deluxe ain't bad I have a 65 DRRI and like it. I also have a OCD that never made it to my pedalboard, but the Fulltone II did. I'm not much of a high gain guy any way.

    IMO the Marshall company has gone to hell in a hand basket. I have an old JCM 800 2x12 that I used to A/B with Fender Twin. Don't ask, they are both in the attic now and there's a lot of amp to that set up.

    Marshall amps and the Marshall-like tone has not so much to do with the gain, but some folks like to push that up as high as they can.

    A lovely companion for that 68 DRRI would be a Marshall 1974, they get loud fast, but the are super cool old school. The other problem is they cost a fortune.

    Around my house messing around I use a Yamaha TCH classic. It's all I need for practicing and keeping my paws limber.

    Back to the Marshall. You can get a lovely Mojotoine Kit complete for less than a grand. In a day or a weekend you have a lovely amp put together by the one and only Daryll Flynn. and save yourself 1500 bucks.




    I have also seriously considered a Quilter Micro Pro II. I heard that the little 8" speaker will cover a gig nicely. I only see em on line, but the folks at quilter said I really need to try one. I might not need anything bigger even for a serious gig,

    Twice as much as the Marshall, but I a used one in miny shape on REVERB for under a grand
    Mesa/Boogie Rectoverb 25 1x12

    https://reverb.com/item/14219689-mes...-verb-25-combo

    The guy sounds like me, but it ain't me.
    Mint condition.
    Still under warranty.
    Hate to sell, but I have too much stuff.
    Priced to move.
    _____________________________________
    Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

    Join Date: Aug 2001
    Location: N. Adams, MA USA
    Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

    Comment


    • daddymack
      daddymack commented
      Editing a comment
      plus he will consider a trade...for a larger Boogie!

  • #3
    I have an OCD clone and it has no use on my pedal board either. Too sterile and too brash for my liking.

    I'd have no use for a Deluxe reissue. I still own my original Blackface Bassman since I bought it in 1967 and use its as a baseline for all Fender amps. The Deluxe is only 22W and when the tubes get old it doesn't get more then 15W clean tones. They can be fun for leads cranked but If I was going for a fender combo I'd get a 4X10" model like the Bassman Reissue or the Super Reverb. They can do lower volumes, take pedals well and have enough mojo to keep up with a drummer on stage.

    I like Marshall's just as much as Fenders. Unfortunately someone stole my Plexi 50 long ago and never got around to replacing it. The thing about Marshall's is the voicing. I always thought Fenders did the best job for rhythm guitars and Marshalls did the best job for lead tones. Marshalls gave Gibson guitars a more Fenderish tone with their top end.

    As far as the DSL40 goes I haven't tried it. I own a couple of Valve states and use them for their clean channels. I don't bother with their drive channels. Marshall designs their overdrive to overkill. Its so oversaturated its impossible to dial back and get decent brown sounds. At least with a Plexi you had clean tones up until the tubes began to saturate and that saturation came on gradually. You could get your chords to grunt nicely then use a drive pedal to push it over the edge an get your saturated tones.

    Marshall seems to think every guitarist is a kid playing in his bedroom. They design their overdrives to work at low volume practice levels. When you try and open those amps up on stage you have to dial those drives back and that's where they crap out. You cant dial the drive back without sounding totally anemic. Amps like That Valvestate I own use a preamp tube and Mosfet outputs. Its cleans are one of the better SS amps out there. The crunch channel its terrible. The drive/lead channel is your typical Marshall lead tone which is fine, but the pot taper for its saturation is limited. The amp becomes super saturated at a low volume and over 5 the gain becomes uncontrollable. I've used lower preamp gain tubes like a 5751 tube which helped but you're really need to decrease the preamp gain to get it right and mimic a decent tube amp.

    The DSL40 might be an ideal combo. 40W is ideal for a small band and it can always be miced. I'd want to see how it was built however. If its a cheap build where they stick the tube sockets on a PCB board it's not going to hold up. Tubes eventually heat the board and blacken it. Once the board cooks it turns to carbon and shorts out. If the amp is a chassis build with tube sockets mounted to a chassis, you can do just about anything you need to modify it to sound like a classic amp.

    Comment


    • #4
      If you are going to keep the '65 DRRI, I'd add the Marshall for the added versatility. Even with the mods on the '68 DRRI, I don't think it's really different enough from what you already have to make it a worthwhile addition. However, if you wanted to run them in stereo, that could work...
      **********

      "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

      "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

      "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
        If you are going to keep the '65 DRRI, I'd add the Marshall for the added versatility. Even with the mods on the '68 DRRI, I don't think it's really different enough from what you already have to make it a worthwhile addition. However, if you wanted to run them in stereo, that could work...
        Phil, what do you think about my suggestion to build a 1974 Clone.

        It's a cool old skool rocker, that drips with classic med gain rock and roll.


        A new one of the the box is like 2500. eek.
        But it has the Marshall badge and it's hand wired point to point.

        As many amps as I have, I'm after a 75 Fender Tweed RI. I want one before Fender decides they want to do some thing different and stops makin em


        _____________________________________
        Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

        Join Date: Aug 2001
        Location: N. Adams, MA USA
        Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

        Comment


        • #6
          I think the idea of building a 1974 clone is a good one - assuming he can solder. They're great amps!

          Which reminds me - what I need to get around to doing one of these days is building a 5E3 tweed Deluxe clone...
          **********

          "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
          - George Carlin

          "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

          "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
            I think the idea of building a 1974 clone is a good one - assuming he can solder. They're great amps!

            Which reminds me - what I need to get around to doing one of these days is building a 5E3 tweed Deluxe clone...
            I teach 10 year old kids to solider in a summer camp. Some of em are pretty good at it after a small 2 hour robot kit build. We get a few cold solider joins, here and there, and some times I need to grab a DVM.

            I have an AS degree in Electrical Engineer, but I have been soldiering since I was a kid out in my dad garage. Finished up a BS in Physics about 35 years ago.
            A decent soldiering is not that costly, a DVM can be had for 25 bucks these days. A pair of wire cutters and just get some good old fashion solider in iwth lead as it flows much nice than the no lead stuff they try to sell now.

            I'm not building one, as I want the Fender badge on the think. A MikeO build will be worth 700 bucks 10 years from now, you know what happens to stuff like Fender, Marshall over time.


            Maybe at the end of the month. I can drive 70 miles and try one out or just order one. I think in my 40 years of playing, I sent back one thing.

            https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar...150500100.html

            Anything worth doing is kind of worth overdoing. I need another amp like a hole in the head.
            It's kind of the grand daddy of old skool combo amps. I like Swart amps too, and thought about that.
            _____________________________________
            Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

            Join Date: Aug 2001
            Location: N. Adams, MA USA
            Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

            Comment


            • #8
              I was thinking about writing a DMM for Musicians article - useable ones sell for as low as ten bucks now, and as you know, they can be a lot more useful for the average musician than most realize.

              If he's never built anything before, I'd recommend he start with a pedal or two before moving on to something like an amp.
              **********

              "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

              "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
              - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

              "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
              - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                I was thinking about writing a DMM for Musicians article - useable ones sell for as low as ten bucks now, and as you know, they can be a lot more useful for the average musician than most realize.

                If he's never built anything before, I'd recommend he start with a pedal or two before moving on to something like an amp.
                It wouldn't be a bad idea for him to get a copy of a now old book, "Electronic Projects For Musicians", by one Craig T. Anderton. Maybe some of you have heard of him. It's filled with cool stuff that you can build and will mos def help get those soldering chops up before starting an amp project.

                Comment


                • #10
                  I built most of the stuff from Andertron's book when I was a teen.

                  For my tastes , I would go with the Marshall.
                  Originally posted by MrKnobs
                  God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post

                    It wouldn't be a bad idea for him to get a copy of a now old book, "Electronic Projects For Musicians", by one Craig T. Anderton. Maybe some of you have heard of him. It's filled with cool stuff that you can build and will mos def help get those soldering chops up before starting an amp project.
                    Good idea. It's available on Amazon...

                    https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Pr.../dp/0825695023

                    **********

                    "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                    - George Carlin

                    "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                    "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
                      I have an OCD clone and it has no use on my pedal board either. Too sterile and too brash for my liking.

                      I'd have no use for a Deluxe reissue. I still own my original Blackface Bassman since I bought it in 1967 and use its as a baseline for all Fender amps. The Deluxe is only 22W and when the tubes get old it doesn't get more then 15W clean tones. They can be fun for leads cranked but If I was going for a fender combo I'd get a 4X10" model like the Bassman Reissue or the Super Reverb. They can do lower volumes, take pedals well and have enough mojo to keep up with a drummer on stage.

                      I like Marshall's just as much as Fenders. Unfortunately someone stole my Plexi 50 long ago and never got around to replacing it. The thing about Marshall's is the voicing. I always thought Fenders did the best job for rhythm guitars and Marshalls did the best job for lead tones. Marshalls gave Gibson guitars a more Fenderish tone with their top end.

                      As far as the DSL40 goes I haven't tried it. I own a couple of Valve states and use them for their clean channels. I don't bother with their drive channels. Marshall designs their overdrive to overkill. Its so oversaturated its impossible to dial back and get decent brown sounds. At least with a Plexi you had clean tones up until the tubes began to saturate and that saturation came on gradually. You could get your chords to grunt nicely then use a drive pedal to push it over the edge an get your saturated tones.

                      Marshall seems to think every guitarist is a kid playing in his bedroom. They design their overdrives to work at low volume practice levels. When you try and open those amps up on stage you have to dial those drives back and that's where they crap out. You cant dial the drive back without sounding totally anemic. Amps like That Valvestate I own use a preamp tube and Mosfet outputs. Its cleans are one of the better SS amps out there. The crunch channel its terrible. The drive/lead channel is your typical Marshall lead tone which is fine, but the pot taper for its saturation is limited. The amp becomes super saturated at a low volume and over 5 the gain becomes uncontrollable. I've used lower preamp gain tubes like a 5751 tube which helped but you're really need to decrease the preamp gain to get it right and mimic a decent tube amp.

                      The DSL40 might be an ideal combo. 40W is ideal for a small band and it can always be miced. I'd want to see how it was built however. If its a cheap build where they stick the tube sockets on a PCB board it's not going to hold up. Tubes eventually heat the board and blacken it. Once the board cooks it turns to carbon and shorts out. If the amp is a chassis build with tube sockets mounted to a chassis, you can do just about anything you need to modify it to sound like a classic amp.
                      The DSL40CR has a classic channel that can be dialed back for those brown sounds and other less in your face modern distortion

                      But, Metallica and beyond is in the other channel


                      They design their overdrives to work at low volume practice levels.
                      Reasonable volume would be a good thing in my situation, although I'd occasionally jam with friends
                      __________________________________________________

                      “Allowing the immigration to take place in Europe is a shame. I think it changed the fabric of Europe and, unless you act very quickly, it’s never going to be what it was and I don’t mean that in a positive way.” - President Trump

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                        If you are going to keep the '65 DRRI, I'd add the Marshall for the added versatility. Even with the mods on the '68 DRRI, I don't think it's really different enough from what you already have to make it a worthwhile addition. However, if you wanted to run them in stereo, that could work...
                        That's what I'm thinking.

                        But, they're really raving about that 68 Deluxe RI. It sounded great on the youtube vids I've watched, but I'll know more when I get down to GC soon.

                        I bet I'll end up with the Marshall, though.
                        Last edited by Daryl Flynn; 08-11-2018, 11:27 AM.
                        __________________________________________________

                        “Allowing the immigration to take place in Europe is a shame. I think it changed the fabric of Europe and, unless you act very quickly, it’s never going to be what it was and I don’t mean that in a positive way.” - President Trump

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                          If you are going to keep the '65 DRRI, I'd add the Marshall for the added versatility. Even with the mods on the '68 DRRI, I don't think it's really different enough from what you already have to make it a worthwhile addition. However, if you wanted to run them in stereo, that could work...
                          ^ This. If you want another Fender, fine. If you want something different, go with the Marshall.
                          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                          Member of the Schecter Society
                          Person-2-Person on the Web

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Better yet. . .. . Just get a Line6 and be done with it.
                            Originally posted by MrKnobs
                            God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X