Switch to share amp?

Jazzer2020

• Members

Still in the experimental stage with an effect box.

Here's what I would like to do.

Use my A/B switch box somehow, so that I can either go direct from guitar to amp OR

go from guitar to effect box and then to amp.

It's a basic A/B box that has input and two outputs (designed to go to two amps).

What I'm finding at the moment if I use an improvised y-cable (don't have a 1/4" y-cable at the moment, so combining

rca's etc) when I put switch to A, the signal is still being shared with the effect box (even if effects is powered off).

When I put switch to B, the effect box works fine.

But there is bleeding taking place between the effect box and the wire going straight to amp.

IOW the y-cable is allowing signal to go both ways.

How can I come up with a bypass switch that will bypass the effect box completely?

• Members
a second AB/Y box?

Yeah that would probably do the trick, however I paid a pretty penny for my first AB/Y box (Radial Twin City Bones) and think it would be crazy to buy a second one at roughly the cost of the effects pedal just to create a bypass switch.

Is there no easier way?

• Members

What you need is a loop box not an A/B. A loop switch takes the pedal off line and completely bypasses it.

What kind of effects is this? Most effects pedals already have a bypass switch wired into it. Why are you wanting to use an external bypass?

Also, Do not try and Y jack things like you have been. When you bypass effects you need to dieconnect both inputs and outputs together and simultaneously. Y jacking inputs wont hurt anything besides load down the input but Y Jacking the output is bad news.

In any case a loop bypass switch is what you need. - You cant do it with a ABY switch. Two of them could make the connections but you cant switch both at the exact same time plus its a waste of money.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OC1L--one-control-1-loop-box?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3248788406&rkg_id=0&product_id=OC1L&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Guitars&adgroup=Guitars%20-%20Guitar%20Pedals%20&%20Effects&placement=google&adpos=1o6&creative=226299461168&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItYKumtrV2wIVRp7ACh0Pxgx8EAQYBiABEgKQ9_D_BwE

The effects connects to the send and return your guitar connects to the input and amp to the output.

With the switch turned off the guitar is connected directly to the amp. Toggle the switch and the effectl(s) is connected in series.

Like I said, is a effect has a bypass switch this really isn't needed unless its some pedal that sucks allot of tone when its bypassed. Some pedals like Boss are buffered but even those don't sound bad bypassed. In fact the buffer helps minimize signal losses from cable resistance.

• Members

Thanks for your help WRG!

What you need is a loop box not an A/B. A loop switch takes the pedal off line and completely bypasses it.

What kind of effects is this? Most effects pedals already have a bypass switch wired into it. Why are you wanting to use an external bypass?

It is a Boss GT-1 effects pedal. Don't see any bypass on it (outside). When I turn off all effects in a patch, the amp sound is dull and drops in level.

If I unplug the GT-1 and immediately go straight to the amp, the amp sound is completely different than playing through the pedal.

Much bigger, richer sound.

In any case a loop bypass switch is what you need. - You cant do it with a ABY switch. Two of them could make the connections but you cant switch both at the exact same time plus its a waste of money.

... The effects connects to the send and return your guitar connects to the input and amp to the output.

With the switch turned off the guitar is connected directly to the amp. Toggle the switch and the effectl(s) is connected in series.

OK thanks, I didn't know this!

Like I said, is a effect has a bypass switch this really isn't needed unless its some pedal that sucks allot of tone when its bypassed. Some pedals like Boss are buffered but even those don't sound bad bypassed. In fact the buffer helps minimize signal losses from cable resistance.

As I said above, if there is a bypass with the GT-1 it must be internal and it would basically just turn off all the effects in a patch.

I have asked about this in a GT-1 forum and no one said "just use the bypass switch". They said turn off all effects in a patch.

That's not cutting it.

Archived