Delete

jjang1993

• Members

A Beta 8a is a PA speaker, Not a guitar speaker.

As per Eminence: The Beta-8A 8" Midrange/PA Driver's performance is optimized for midrange use between 400 Hz and 4 kHz. This speaker is designed for a 3 way pa cab that has a larger Woofer for the bass frequencies and a Horn/tweeter for the highs. Even though the speaker is rated for 78 to 4.5KHz max, the top and bottom get rolled off by a crossover.

I own several similar PA speakers and used then in guitar amps and if you want sucky sound, man that's surely the quickest way to get it.

The volume output is very poor on these kinds of speakers because the paper is very thick and the cone is far too stiff. and because the paper is too thick and the cone too stiff. String picking will sound neutered and you'll lack harmonics. Its almost as bad as playing through a Hi Fi Speaker except there isn't any tweeters or woofer. Most of the power from that head will simply be sucked up trying to get that voice coil moving against that over sized magnet.

If you used one of these speakers with a horn in a small PA cab, then used a PA head to drive it, you could use an amp modeler/effects/preamp to get your actual guitar tones. You'd want a much louder head, in the 200W range because allot of power will be lost when crossing over the frequencies using a passive crossover system. Even then you'd simply be better off buying a powered PA speaker and simply use the amp modeler unit as a preamp.

Fact is, they simply don't make many 8" guitar speakers above a certain wattage. The most you may find are speakers in the 5~25W ranges so you'll need at least two of them to match that head.

You'd be much better off with a single 10". Its going to sound a whole lot better with an actual guitar speaker and the weight difference negligible. Something like a Celestion G10 only weighs 6.1 Lbs. and though there may be a few more inches of wood needed for the cab, you can simply use lighter weight woods you'll not only break even on the weight, but you'll sound like you're playing through a guitar amp not some abortion from hell.

• Members

I am seriously thinking about buying a Quilter combo amp this year, but I'm not sure which one.

I probably don't need the 12" HD 200 watt one, but the other 3 MircoPro II's might just do.

850 to a grand, but I'll want the big 6 button foot switch too and he carrying bag. 20 lbs or there abouts.

[video=youtube;GB30KQd-iQY]

[video=youtube;-jchh9AChAc]

• Moderators

I have to agree that this will not sound great, which is a disservice to the Quilter. I also agree that using a 10" guitar speaker is going to sound 100x better than an 8" PA speaker in an open back cab.... there are several decent 50W 10" guitar speakers for under $100, so I would be inclined to go that route.

Archived