Help me choose/ modify an amp

Fumblingfloosbag

• Members

Kind of a weird-ish question, lately, I have been plugging my guitar and pedals into an older Realistic DJ amp ( nothing special) and listening to it via Beydynamic DT770 headphones ( I guess you would call those good quality midrange flat studio monitors; I like them) when I can't plug into an amp, and I realized that that IS the guitar tone I want. I have been pushing the DJ amp to just clipping and beyond. I realize that headphones and amp speakers are very, very different animals but I am wondering if someone could point me in the direction of 'that sound', be it via a type of speaker, pre-amp or what-have-you. I have generally played tube amps but I really have no loyalty either way. Sometimes I like the way certain solid state amps break. I think what I like about this current set up is that A) my headphones are pretty good B) I like the way the cheap headphone amp clips and C) I am basically just hearing my guitar and pedals without a lot of coloration other than the amp''s compression. I have two EQ pedals that I have been moving around my signal path and I have to say, as an aside, do not judge your pedal (esp. a fuzz pedal) until you have put an EQ somewhere before or after it. Recent realization for me that I am sure a lot of people have already had. The EQ pedal thing holds true plugged into amps, too... Hahaha.

Hey, thanks for any help in advance. I am pretty handy, so I am very open to swapping parts or building things.

Have a great weekend.

• Members

I have a couple guitar amps, I guess I didn t make it clear, I have been playing thru the headphones when I can't plug in to an amp ( I'm polite to my housemates). I agree that a lot can sound good thru decent headphones. I was saying that I like the sound of the headphone amp better than the sound of my amps I use now or previous used (I've had Fenders, Marshall's, Sunn's, Peavey's, played thru an old Hiwatt for a few years, etc.)

The question I had was if anyone had any idea on how to get close to that .... Type of speaker? Pre-amp? Mods I could do? Type of amp in general that has that sound?

• Members

I know they make interesting pre-amp guitar pedals... Bogner Wessek, Hudson Broadcast,, Walrus Audio does one built after a film projector called 300 something, JHS colour box and a bunch of people make plexi type clone stuff ( Wampler, Zvex, etc.) also all those Echoplex pre-amp clones ( not exactly what I think I want but maybe).... Hmmmm... I feel like a lot of it has to do with the cabinet and the pre- amp.

Archived