Best small wattage tube amp kit?

Marshalljl

• Members
Looking for a small and relatively inexpensive tube amp for my room' date=' and I feel like putting one together might be less expensive and help me get a better understanding of how they work. Does anyone have any suggestions?[/quote']

The problem is most kits are not as inexpensive to buy and put together as you may think.

However in the end you have something pretty nice that you assembled yourself.

What are you thinking for a budget?

Fender style, Marshall Style?

• Members

saving money with an amp kit is possible, but not very common in the small/low wattage segment

e.g. i built a B.y.o.c tweet royal kit, which is a hybrid between a late 50s fender tweet deluxe and a princeton. all in all with custom made cabinet, celestion vintage30 speaker and tubes it was about $900.

compared to other tweet deluxy clones (~$1500) or the fender reissue custom shops $2-2,500 or the vintage real deal depending on condition (up to $5k) building thge kit was the cheapest option.

and define small tube amp? is 5w also small or do you consider even smaller like 1w or 0.5w amp?

for your budget there are some nice low watt options like vox ac4's andall the like, you don't get them cheaper in a kit, especially when you consider you need also a cabinet and a speaker and a good 12" speaker alone is already around $100...

Putting together a kit should be looked at as a big part of the enjoyment you'll get out of the amp - the experience of building it yourself and the challenge / fun of that. The working amp you wind up with is almost a bonus. You certainly aren't likely to save money by building a kit vs buying a inexpensive tube practice amp, but saving money really isn't (or IMO shouldn't be) the point of building a kit.

As far as which kit is "best", it really depends on what you want - type of amp, difficulty of the project, whether you want to DIY your own cabinet too, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived