Help choosing a guitar amp?

Gritty_Guitarist

• Members

Hi,

I'm looking for an amp that's great for blues and crunchy rock music (budget is $300)

I'm trying to get a guitar tone that sounds something along the lines of Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, and The Rolling Stones.

So something that sounds warm, fat and organic.

I've already looked at the Vox VT40x, but what amps apart from that would you recommend?

• Members

Nugent uses a Peavey 6505 head, presumably with a matching cab. He's also used Fender Twins in the past. Billy Gibbons primarily uses a vintage Marshall Super Lead. Keith Richards uses various Fender and Mesa amps as well as a Marshall Plexi head.

For now I'm going to ignore "warm, fat and organic" and concentrate on amps you can actually afford. Let's start by looking at combo amps. Bugera and Blackstar have new tube amps in your price range but I'd try used. For example, you should be able to find a Fender Pro Jr. right around $300. You could also pair something like an Orange Micro Terror or Peavey Piranha head with whatever cab you can afford but both are hybrid amps and won't be as loud as a full blown tube amp.

Archived