Question regarding tube replacements for Hot Rod Deluxe

brian_peabeck

• Members

Hello! I play a Hot Rod Deluxe, and the tubes are starting to go. I got the amp a few years ago, and this is my first time having to retube it. I am not sure exactly what is in there right now, but I do know it was biased hot by the last owner. I have absolutely no headroom unless I play at stupid low volumes. I don't usually mind this except every now and again it would be nice to be able to play some true cleans.

So far I am sort of between two options for the 12AX7s. I have read that Tung Sol 12AX7s deliver more gain than JJs, but I am wondering if I have the amp biased to factory spec, will I still get headroom out of the Tung Sols? Also I have no clue what I should consider for the 6L6 tubes.

My playing style goes from mid to high gain usually--garage rock, stoner metal, hardcore, and the like--so I figure I can get my pedals to do that work and then if I have the amp biased normally I should be able to get some cleans too.

I am open to all suggestions, but I don't want to look into stuff that gets too expensive. Also if anyone knows any sites with some sweet deals on tubes, I would be very appreciative of a link!

Thank you for your help!

• Members

Biasing an amp hot or cold gives you no advantage.

You meed a multimeter and a 1 ohm sensing resistor.

Bring it back to facotry spects.

JJ makes a great power tube.

The pre amp tubes are probably fine. Here's what I have read

The JJ's are darker/warmer/creamier where as the Tungsols are brighter, more articulate and a bit more compressed.

Put in the tubes you want and go from there. The Fender Hot Rod is not a high gain amp. It does what it does rather well and if you want more grit push it with pedal like you said.

I owned the Tweed Deluxe that was originally made in the 90's in CA. I have also owned a 2x12 HRD DeVille which is loud as all hell.

[video=youtube;AOH12XM3fTA]

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?161220-JJ-ECC83s-or-Tung-Sol-12AX7-current-production

• Members
Biasing an amp hot or cold gives you no advantage.

You meed a multimeter and a 1 ohm sensing resistor.

Bring it back to facotry spects.

JJ makes a great power tube.

The pre amp tubes are probably fine. Here's what I have read

The JJ's are darker/warmer/creamier where as the Tungsols are brighter, more articulate and a bit more compressed.

Put in the tubes you want and go from there. The Fender Hot Rod is not a high gain amp. It does what it does rather well and if you want more grit push it with pedal like you said.

I owned the Tweed Deluxe that was originally made in the 90's in CA. I have also owned a 2x12 HRD DeVille which is loud as all hell.

[video=youtube;AOH12XM3fTA]

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?161220-JJ-ECC83s-or-Tung-Sol-12AX7-current-production

So do pre-amp tubes last longer? The thing I am concerned about now is that my friend who is re-tolexing my amp touched the tubes with his bare hands, and I know that is a huge no-no. I also don't remember which tubes he touched, so I am thinking I may as well do them all.

Thanks for the description of the differences between the two manufacturers. I think I will go with the JJs since I don't usually play that bright.

• Members

So do pre-amp tubes last longer? The thing I am concerned about now is that my friend who is re-tolexing my amp touched the tubes with his bare hands, and I know that is a huge no-no. I also don't remember which tubes he touched, so I am thinking I may as well do them all.

Thanks for the description of the differences between the two manufacturers. I think I will go with the JJs since I don't usually play that bright.

I have never used a pair of gloves to change tubes unless they are were physically hot.

Preamp tubes kind of either work or they don't. Power tubes will get dull over time. Pre amps tubes tend to work or go belly up on ya.

Any amp that has a master volume and a pre amp knob for distortion will be driving the pre amp section and not so much the power amp section. The real charm from an amp comes from the power amp section. You will hear that in amps like a Fender Bassman, Tremolux, old Tweed Deluxe amps, and the blackface Fenders. Same with the old Marshalls, like the 1974X , the Blues Breaker and old school Plexi.

The HRD, like I said, is not really a high gain amp, so if you're playing stoner rock, hardcore, you will need to push the front end with a pedal.

The HRD is more Keith Richards.

The HRD DeVille was louder and delivered a deeper bass.

The HRD Deluxe is what you have, so do what you can and work yer way up to what really gets the job done.

Might eventually work your way into a head and 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

Best of luck.

• Members
So do pre-amp tubes last longer? The thing I am concerned about now is that my friend who is re-tolexing my amp touched the tubes with his bare hands' date=' and I know that is a huge no-no. I also don't remember which tubes he touched, so I am thinking I may as well do them all. . . .[/quote']

Preamp tubes rarely go bad. I doubt that's an issue unless the tubes are microphonic. Touching tubes won't hurt them unless you ''touch'' them with a sledge hammer and crack the glass. It will, however, smart if the tubes are hot. Here's some advice from people who actually build amps: http://www.soldano.com/amp-help/guitar-amplifier-tube-maintenance/.

• Members

I have never used a pair of gloves to change tubes unless they are were physically hot.

Preamp tubes kind of either work or they don't. Power tubes will get dull over time. Pre amps tubes tend to work or go belly up on ya.

Any amp that has a master volume and a pre amp knob for distortion will be driving the pre amp section and not so much the power amp section. The real charm from an amp comes from the power amp section. You will hear that in amps like a Fender Bassman, Tremolux, old Tweed Deluxe amps, and the blackface Fenders. Same with the old Marshalls, like the 1974X , the Blues Breaker and old school Plexi.

The HRD, like I said, is not really a high gain amp, so if you're playing stoner rock, hardcore, you will need to push the front end with a pedal.

The HRD is more Keith Richards.

The HRD DeVille was louder and delivered a deeper bass.

The HRD Deluxe is what you have, so do what you can and work yer way up to what really gets the job done.

Might eventually work your way into a head and 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

Best of luck.

Right on, thanks! Yeah the plan is to work up to something meatier, but I got this for a great price, and it really sounds pretty good at higher gains.

Archived