is a Fender Champion 40 loud enough?

mbengs1

• Members

I bought one recently from sweetwater and I like it. the sound is amazing for a solid state. but can this thing be used in jamming with a drummer and bassist and be heard? I was thinking of changing the speaker to a celestion blue back in the future.

• Members
I bought one recently from sweetwater and I like it. the sound is amazing for a solid state. but can this thing be used in jamming with a drummer and bassist and be heard? I was thinking of changing the speaker to a celestion blue back in the future.

Mic it and see, or trade it out for a DRRI.

• Members

There's a lot of misconception about wattage and volume, In reality there will only be about a 6+- dB difference between a 40w and 100w,assuming they're using the same speakers, The difference will be in what they sound like at a given dB level. So here's the deal. Once you start pushing the 40w to higher dB levels its working pretty hard, in which case we get what's called clipping. or distortion if you will. Generally not desired with SS amps but to each their own. The 100w isn't really working very hard, thus no clipping, Tube amps on the other hand clipping is more desired, which is why we see all the rage with these little 5w tube amps these days, Personally I think they sound like crap, but again to each their own. I prefer a cleaner sound with tons of headroom so opt for the larger tube amps, So to answer your question, Yes plenty loud enough, but the question will be will it sound very good.

• Moderators

Bengs...40watt solid state amps might keep up with a very well disciplined drummer, but it would not be my first choice for live. My experience is that 60W SS amps are just barely capable in a live situation, anything less would need to be mic'ed into the PA.

• Members

You won't get +6db. Every doubling of wattage yields 3db in a perfect world. So 80 watts would be 3db, and the other 20 might get you another 1 db if that, and thats only in the perfect world. 3db is regarded as the smallest perceptible change in volume that an average ear can detect. To double the perceived "volume" requires 10db and to do that would mean going from 40 watts to 400 watts. If you clip a 40 watt amp, you will probably clip the 100 watt amp also, because there isn't much difference really.

• Members
Bengs...40watt solid state amps might keep up with a very well disciplined drummer' date=' but it would not be my first choice for live. My experience is that 60W SS amps are just barely capable in a live situation, anything less would need to be mic'ed into the PA.[/quote']

​mack, Fender came out with the champion series recently. It's 20, 40, and 100 watts. I guess that the middle one is still reasonably loud enough for jamming and the 100 watt is loud enough for live concerts. I assumed that the 40 watt champion amp is good enough as a studio amp. I haven't tried turning it up that loud yet. I think the speaker might blow. but I'm thinkin of replacing the cheap speaker with a celestion to get the maximum decibel level from the relatively small amp.

• Moderators

I am aware of the Champion family, they've been around for a couple of years here; the only one I think is remotely gig-able is the 100w 2x12, but I would be far more inclined to gig with a Blues Junior. What you have is a 40W Solid State practice amp, and no matter what they put in it, maxing the volume will not generate any natural overtones or harmonics that you would get from a 10W tube amp. The Fender Design speakers are made by Eminence, IIRC, and although not spectacular, replacing it with a $275 speaker in a $350 amp makes little sense to me....plus, IIRC, the Celestion Blue is rated at 15W...

Use it for recording? Sure...

• Members

The clean tone is amazing for a solid state amp. but I tried a boss turbo distortion with it and it sounds like {censored}. too bright. are all solid state amps like this? incompatible with regular pedals... its the same with my peavey blazer 15 watt amp. sounds good in the clean channel but when u add a distortion pedal it doesn't work. the effects of the champion 40 are very nice too, btw.

Archived