Spilled chili on boyfriend's amp

Clutz

• Members

Don't ask how... I either need to replace or get the grill cloth cleaned and I'm planning to do it before he finds out what happened. (I'll admit it afterward though). I've gotten prices around $150 but before I do that I am wondering if I should put in a bit more money and get him a new amp or if this one is really good? It is a Marshall G3OR CD and I think it is a 2008 (because serial number starts with 2008). I no absolutely nothing about amps. He just plays once in a while but he is one of those people who has everything in perfect condition and likes it that way. I'm dead.

Thoughts? Thanks.

2e8c9a58cc59fea260c004df39d44ace.JPG.1945faf4eb175e8c23fb197528968825.JPG

That is more than the amp is worth frankly - used examples of that model are selling for around $100 - $125 on Reverb.com right now.

I'd 'fess up, apologize, and offer to either have it cleaned, or give him the money to put towards another amp - his choice. And I'd do it as soon as possible.

He may decide to do the cleaning himself, but the longer it sits on there, the more likely it is to discolor something permanently. I'm not sure how that particular amp is constructed, but it is possible to remove the electronics and either pull the grille off (if it is removable) and / or have the whole cabinet (sans electronics) steam cleaned... it can probably be a DIY job, IF you know how to take an amp apart - which he might be able to do.

• Members

I owned a Marshall amp briefly but I don't recall what the grille cloth was made of. Probably polyester. I'd start with a damp cloth and see what happens. Don't press hard or you'll stretch the cloth. As the other guys have mentioned, you can get a newer, better amp for $150. If you're in the St. Louis area I'll sell you a decent amp for 'way less than that. Do confess though. Any boyfriend worth keeping will understand. I've had a few ''How much do you love me?'' moments with my wife.

• Members
Don't ask how... I either need to replace or get the grill cloth cleaned and I'm planning to do it before he finds out what happened. (I'll admit it afterward though). I've gotten prices around $150 but before I do that I am wondering if I should put in a bit more money and get him a new amp or if this one is really good? It is a Marshall G3OR CD and I think it is a 2008 (because serial number starts with 2008). I no absolutely nothing about amps. He just plays once in a while but he is one of those people who has everything in perfect condition and likes it that way. I'm dead.

Thoughts? Thanks.

I like chilli, did you make it yourself?

Get a screw drive, and take the back off the amp, Slide out the electronics part of the amp just incase some chilli got inside the electronics part of the amp. Remove the speaker.

Now you all set to clean the amp.

Resolve fixes ever stinkin smell there is. Spray the grill cover and rub with a non shedding cotton terry cloth.

Let dry for a bit, while it's drying go have some bed room fun and after it's dry put it back together.

Resolve is a miracle I tell ya. Bedroom fun time makes everything all better.

Resolve-Stain-Remover-Carpet-400x600.png

You'll make a great wife, by the way. Personally I'd trade you in fast. Just kidding about the trade in.

I'll say it again, Resolve and a soft cotton cloth.

And when the amp is apart, don't be poking around with the electronics.

• Members

If I were your boyfriend I'd be like. Cool, I really needed an excuse to buy a new amp anyway, this one kinda sucks. But I'm not and if you spilled chili on any of my amps I'd accidently poop in your favorite pair of shoes. Just kidding, Its a cheap amp. Got a shop vac and a spray bottle? I've cleaned worse stuff out of my amp grills using that technique, Don't ask.

Archived