Ugh.

Hand Amputation

• Members

Not sure if you are still looking for advice on the JCM900. I wanted to respond sooner but was busy this weekend.

Personally I would pass on the JCM900. It's not a very desirable model for many reasons. If you really want a JCM900, try to get a SLX or MKIII model, but even then it's not that amazing.

I would just sell your Mesa and try to grab a JCM800 or JCM2000. I have owned both and they both are amazing amps. You can get a JCM2000 DSL100 head for around $600 used and the thing will do everything you are looking for and then some. The JNM800's are a bit pricier but the dual channel reverb models still can be gotten at a reasonable price.

Just don't try and run a Marshall head through a Mesa cab, it sounds like crap.

• Members
Not sure if you are still looking for advice on the JCM900. I wanted to respond sooner but was busy this weekend.

Personally I would pass on the JCM900. It's not a very desirable model for many reasons. If you really want a JCM900, try to get a SLX or MKIII model, but even then it's not that amazing.

I would just sell your Mesa and try to grab a JCM800 or JCM2000. I have owned both and they both are amazing amps. You can get a JCM2000 DSL100 head for around $600 used and the thing will do everything you are looking for and then some. The JNM800's are a bit pricier but the dual channel reverb models still can be gotten at a reasonable price.

Just don't try and run a Marshall head through a Mesa cab, it sounds like crap.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. I decided to pass on the JCM900. I'm gonna try some EL34s in the Triple Rec and try the 'Spongy' switch on the back to see if I can get a little closer to the territory that I want to cover.

The 'ugh' was directed at the lack of activity on the HC boards. I used to post on here frequently, then took a break once the forum switched to it's new look. I came back and it seems like a ghost town now!

Any idea on where people migrated to?

• Members

No idea. Allot of old timers poke in and out every so often but allot of people just disappeared with the changeover. You had to re-reregister your password after the update and for some reason many people just didn't come back after that last change.

• Members

I have been around for the past 15 years on and off. Back in the day this place was like grand central station. Now it's pretty bad. Not sure exactly what happened exactly, but the original formula worked fine and then they decided to screw with it, people got frustrated with the new site design, glitches, and crashes.

Even yesterday and today I had trouble getting into the forum. And there seems to be like a 30 second delay to post anything. Frustrating and even a small annoyance like that can keep people away because there are so many options out there.

It's very unfortunate. Hopefully it springs back, but not looking good.

Back to the topic at hand, if you get a chance to try a JCM2000 or JCM800, give them a shot. I think you will really like them. I owned a couple Mesa Rectifiers and always found them to be too muddy and bottom heavy. The change in tubes may help, but I think you re just throwing money at an amp that you would be better selling and getting something more to your liking.

Archived