Resurrecting a Traynor yba-4

Orion_99

• Members

I've had a yba-4 sitting in pieces for about 8 months now. I bought it knowing the OT was most likely shot, and it most definitely is. I have been thinking about making it something different, may adding gain pot maybe even another preamp tube or two.

My first question is, am I better off getting a replacement OT, or would a Classic Tone 40-18025 work?

Second question is does anyone have any experience with modding these amps?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I'd have to look at the schematic to see if that transformer would work. Its a 40W head I believe. My buddy has one I replaced the tubes in it for him. The amp was pretty weak sounding even with new tubes. From what I remember it could have been modded to run like a Fender Bassman or Bandmaster. May have taken allot of parts replacement and rewiring but that head was pretty lame to begin with. I didn't spend allot of time working on his. I basically cleaned it up and got it running. I did not have allot of power however and since I wasn't being paid to mod it, I just made sure it had no faults. I seem to remember his having 6L6 tubes and not EL34's though. Maybe it was a different model or maybe that's why it didn't have the power it should. That was 8 years ago so My memory on it is vague. I'm sure I would have checked the tube chart stamped inside.

• Members

The replacement OT specs are here, http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/EDB1750G.pdf, and the classic tone here, http://www.classictone.net/40-18025.pdf . This one has two el34's and is 50 watts. It seems that ybs-2's have used el84's and 6V6's. so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some of these out there with 6L6's.

The Hammond is 3800 ohms and the CT is 3600 ohms. The CT is also a third of the price. First step is to get it working and see how it sounds then throw an overdrive in front to see if it's even worth fiddling with. Then there will be the question of replacing the 15" speaker or going with one or two 12"s.

Archived