Fender DRRI and Peavey 5150 2x12 - A/B switching?

marcus.meyerjr

• Members

This is my first post - reply with care - I'm very fragile :)

I currently have a Fender DRRI and a Peavey 5150 2x12. I'm on the verge of selling my Fender DRRI (because it is so loud and clean) and getting an AC15C1 or AC15C2 to get more dirt. I love the DRRI, but I bought it mainly to play blues and not for cleans. I know I can get it to break up after I crank it, but damn, my eardrums almost bust. And the 5150 I acquired because it was pretty much a steal, and I wanted to use it with my Ibanez S Series for metal.

But now I am contemplating keeping them both because they are both great amps to have, and I've never had such great equipment for the past 10 years until about 3 months ago (yay for a steady income!). I'm wondering if I should keep them both and get an A/B pedal and use them together? Is that a little much? Fender cleans and then 5150 high gain, best of both worlds?

Note - I play some blues, some clean Strat stuff like RHCP, but also metal like Parkway Drive, Lamb of God, etc. I'm so confused right now what to do...

• Members

Both are great amps. Like WRGKMC said, just get an A/B/Y box and you're good to go. There are a lot of choices out there in all price ranges. I've had a Whirlwind a/b/y box for a long time and it has held up. Although, if you gig regularly, you may eventually find that it's a pain in the ass to move and set up a dual amp rig every weekend.

Yup, get an ABY box to switch between amps... but that opens up the potential for ground loops, and you may notice an increase in noise and hum when you get everything wired up and turned on... which is why I'd recommend a Radial Bigshot ABY for the ABY pedal. They have an isolation transformer built-in, and that will kill the ground loop noise issues.

Archived