how does changing the transformers affect the tone of an amp?

mbengs1

• Members

I'm having my amp fixed which I never even got a chance to try. they said they will replace two transformers with new ones. I don't know if they are good quality transformers they will replace the old ones with. how will this affect the tone of the amp? its a bugera 6262 and like I said, I didn't get to hear it except on youtube videos.

• Members

So long as the voltages forn the power transformer are identical, you want hear any differences from that one. If its something generic with slightly different voltages or current being produced it can effect every tube in the circuit. Whether its better or worse, or if "you'll" hear a difference really requires a frame or reference. If you don't have an A/B comparison, there's no way you can judge such a thing.

Maybe a guy who works in the factory testing and calibrating amps can tell a difference but how much different would it be comparison to all the other component tolerances in an amp, including the bias being different for every set of tubes is questionable. If they are replacing the transformers with the same manufacturer then the difference will only be whatever the tolerance range that's built into that component, Chances are a few micro Henries isn't going to make any difference to the human ear.

Output transformers are more like guitar pickups for tone. You can have transformers from different manufacturers that produce different sound quality based on the material and design. Again, if its an exact match you probably wouldn't hear any difference. If its generic it may be better or worse depending on the quality of the part.

• Members

????? That sounds about as ridiculous and far fetched as it gets. Sounds like you're being taken to the cleaners. Chances are the problem was in internal fuse or simple component and you're getting soaked by them. If they are rewinding them, be sure you ask for the wire they took off the transformers and you'll see them backpedal.

Rewinding transformers is very expensive and requires mega man hours. Its only done on vintage stuff where new transformers cant be purchased.

In order to rewind a transformer you have to remove the laminated core which consists of soft iron plates lacquered together like playing cards in a brick fashion. Many are welded making it completely impossible to remove the core. In order to get the coils out, you have to separate every plate and break the lacquer glue that holds them together. I used to do that when I was a kid to get to the wire inside. In the process you bend every iron plate peeling them apart making it nearly impossible to use those same plates reassembling, and if they did, I surely wouldn't want that piece of reassembled crap in my amp. .

Any amp made today, you can easily get replacements from the manufacturer. If they are an authorized dealer I doubt they would cost them more than $50 each. On top of that the likelihood of both transformers blowing? One in a hundred thousand man,

This kind of sleazy repair work is what gives techs a bad name and should not be tolerated by anyone. Rewind a transformer? It aint gonna happen and if he did attempt it I'd get my amp out of there in a hurry because the guy is either a crook or a flaming idiot. You could buy your own replacements for those transformer on line for peanuts. Testing the old ones with a $10 meter is as simple as it gets too.

Next time you have an amp problem, bring your issue here first. There's a few guys here that worked on amps for a living and can help you figure what's up and at lest point you in the right direction. Then if you do take it in for repair you'll have a good idea of what's up and aren't suckered into getting hosed.

• Members

O.k. as far as the POWER transformer goes it can only effect the sound if the voltages it creates on the secondaries are different than what they were before. If the voltages are exactly the same you will get no change in tone. Of course you can change the voltages that the power transformer creates by changing the voltage applied to the power transformer primary. This would basically be the old "Eddie Van Halen trick" of using a "Variac" to change the wall voltage up or down (usually down). You get a spongier easily overdriven sound when the voltages go down all over the amp. Bottom line is that the power transformer has no effect on tone if the voltages created are the same. It can change the sound in unpredictable ways if it is a different spec.

Now as to the OUTPUT transformer, all kinds of inductance and impedance factors come into play. Changing the OT can definitely effect tone to some degree. Sometimes the cheap original one can sound better than a replacement on a vintage amp....sometimes not. It's kind of subjective.

I have actually heard an improvement on some amps I've owned with a new OT. A tighter bottom end and more volume on a Magnatone 440 I own comes to mind. I know it "devalues" the amp to some collectors...but it did improve the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived