Question about Dean Markley K-50

jimbomonjeau

• Members

Hi! I salute y'all from Argentina. I'm looking forward to buy an old & cheapy Dean Markley K-50. I just have a question about it: is the line out a high to low impedance output? Because i want to use an old & cheapy Yamaha SPX90 reverb rack unit with it which only has with one line input (wich has a selector of -20db -- +4db, but still a low impedance input, -or not?-) and and an (stereo) output with the same selector. As you could guess i'm not an electronics connaiseur.

Dean Markley K-50's manual: http://www.deanmarkley.com/Info/LegacyAmps/Manuals/D1018.pdf Dean Markley K-50's manual (it says line out is a high impedance output, which cofuses me)

Yamaha SPX90's manual: http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/ProAudio/SPX90.pdf

Thanks a lot!!!

• Members

I have a Yamaha unit that's nearly identical to the SPX 90 and used it on many different amps.

It should work fine. I'd just make sure you match the gain so the amp has the same loudness with the unit plugged in or unplugged.

you simply get the amp to a comfortable level and tone, then plug the unit in with it the mix set 100% dry and make sure the level matches.

Then when you adjust the mix for wet, any effects you dial up should be fine.

• Members

on the 1st page, k-50 specifies 1k ohm for line out, which is (relatively) low impedance. then they list it as high impedance on 2nd page (item 13). you're right, it's confusing. anyway, wrg's got your back.

p.s. looks like the yammy's input impedance is 10k, so you should be alright...

• Members

WRGKMC, thanks for your answer! r0bo01, yes, it's confusing! haha. i have one last thing that you guys may could answer? The Yamaha has -20dB / +4dB level switches beside the input and output jacks, as you can see in unit's manual ( http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Docu...udio/SPX90.pdf ). My actual amp has no loop effects send/return on it, just one normal amp input. So, my question is: if I select -20dB (which is intrument level?) in the input level switch and -20dB in the output one's, i would be using my rack unit "as a pedal" and there would be no impedance/level issues? Or it would still be better if used in an effects loop amp chain (in terms of electrical logic -I mean, not in terms of "prefered musical sound"- and where to put spacial effects, etc.)? If I use it in the effect loop chain of an amp, should i use -20 or +4 db level for the input and for the output? in which case could i need to use a diferent switch level in the input-output? Thanks a lot!! Love y'all

• Members

the yamaha looks def set up to be used in a line level type situation. its input & output impedances are low for "instrument" use (typical tube amp input ~100k ohms vs. yammy input @ 10k and output @ 600 ohms). that 600 ohm output should be able to "feed" an amp's input. found rule of thumb saying "low feeds high".

• Members

The Yamaha has enough gain to drive a guitar amps input properly. Again, do a before and after test to compare how loud an amp is without the unit, then plug it in and match the level with it plugged in. Once you find the right level, mark your setting with a piece of masking tape and you'll always know how loud the knob should be when used in front of the amp in case you accidentally tweak the settings moving the thing around.

If you plan on using it on a regular basis, go to a hardware store, buy your self some pine and corners and build yourself a nice rack box for it.

Archived