2x12 cabs vs. 4x12

mbengs1

• Members

Is there a significant difference between the sound you can get from 2x12's vs. 4x12's. I just bought a bugera head and opted for a 2x12 since i believe it would not sound that much different from a 4x12 cab. the 2x12 is sealed back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Depends on a lot of factors. There are some great sounding 212's and some bad sounding 212's. Same goes for 412's. The biggest issue with 212's can be setting them up where you can hear them. Same can be said of straight 412's, but straight front 412's can sound better than their slant counterpart IMO. I think it's mostly due to the speakers in a straight front all pushing air the exact same direction.

FWIW my favorite cab I've ever played (and won't sell) is my Marshall 2061cx. It's a vert 212 with G12H30's. But I also have a Soldano 412 w/V30s that sound fantastic also. It's def my second favorite cab. But my 212 also wins in transportability.

• Members

If I were to see a 3 Piece band (or play in one), a 4X12 can fill things out better then a 2X12.

Its not so much the loudness that's important, its the "Bigness" of the sound you need to make a 3 piece sound full.

If It's a band with two guitarists, 2X12 cabs seem to balance better in identical situations and all factors being equal.

A 4X10 is one of those cabs that can work with a 2X12 or a 4X12 quite well. If its an open backed cab it can

be as light or lighter than a 2X12.

• Members
if they are both sealed back cabinets I have a hard time understanding why two 12 inch speakers would sound different from 4 twelve inch speakers.

Because two is different than four.

Everything that's different will change the sound. Even the thickness of your pick.

• Members

the 4x12's offer a more empowering sound...by simple virtue of there being more speakers. The caveat of course is comparing a 4x12 to a 2x12 of equal quality...I've played off brand 4x12's that sounded awful and weak compared to a mesa or orange 2x12. To my ears, it's just a bigger sound with more oomph typically.

Archived