Bugera amp voltage

mbengs1

• Members

They likely have a transformer that will work at either voltage, but they either have a switch,

or require rewiring to work at the over seas voltage. Having a dual input voltage transformer allows them to sell the same

unit overseas and the US. This is common in Pro gear because bands tour around the world and it saves them from having to

put a different tyranny in there when traveling.

They usually do need a different plug however. They do make adaptors but if the change in voltage is permanent, people usually get the proper

power cord installed which is relatively cheap in comparison to replacing the transformer.

• Members

thanks. I have another question, what will happen if you turn on the amp but the cord connecting to the cabinet is faulty or is disconnected. Obviously, no sound will come out but will this damage an amp in any way? Some of my chords konk out and I have to wiggle it to make it work again so I worry if it might damage my amp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
thanks. I have another question' date=' what will happen if you turn on the amp but the cord connecting to the cabinet is faulty or is disconnected. Obviously, no sound will come out but will this damage an amp in any way? Some of my chords konk out and I have to wiggle it to make it work again so I worry if it might damage my amp.[/quote']

I should tell you as a tech never power an amp up without the proper high quality cable or your amp will melt down like the China Syndrome and kill all of your family and everyone you know at the same time, but I wouldn't be telling you the full truth. Those who have had amps blow because they were careless will believe that is the truth and I don't discourage them from being careful.

A quick power up with nothing connected shouldn't damage anything but then you have some guy come along with some vintage amp with weak components Murphy's Law kicks in and he winds up kicking himself in the butt by not taking precautions seriously.

The "General" Rule of thumb is, If the cable shorts on a transistor amp, it can blow the output transistors. If its left unplugged nothing should be damaged when you have no load. Transistors biggest enemy is heat. When you short a connection it heats up and smokes things.

Its just the opposite with a tube amp. The cable shouldn't hurt the output transformer if it shorts and running the head without a load can damage the tubes depending on the head type. It may take some time for tubes to be damaged but again it depends on the amp type.

There are many different amp types now. Hybryds, Mosfets, Transistor and Tube to name a few. Then you have several hundred different types of circuits and flaws from both designs and components. Some are finicky to begin with, Take the old Vox amps, especially the ones made by Thomas Organ. I wouldn't trust that transistor design even if it had the proper load because they often just caught on fire. Music man had one like that too. They used an inverter tube and when it got old it would short out the B+ voltage and literally start a fire. They changed the design later to solid state, but its the dangerous ones people want ( I have one)

Other amps are built like a tank. I have an Ampeg and a Marshall Valvestate that can be run with no speakers and do no damage whatsoever. I wouldn't even be afraid of plugging the speaker in while the amps on. But again, I'm an electronic tech. I may be willing to take that chance because I'm capable of repairing what I damage. I don't take chances under normal situations and advise others to avoid it as well. I spend enough years repairing amps where I don't wish it on others.

You should always have the proper load (impedance in ohms) and use a high quality cable. A tube amp can produce up to 70 volts and produce quite a bit of current and its not worth taking a chance on blowing a head because you're too cheap to buy or make a decent cable. Also, speaker cables should "Always be two conductor speaker cable. You should never ever use a normal high impedance guitar cord for a speaker cab. A guitar cable is designed to carry less than one volt and the wattage the amp outputs to the speaker will melt the cable. It may not get to the point where the wires short but it will melt the insulation around the core wire and allow oxygen into the cable. Once that happens the cable becomes noisy (crackly) intermittent and microphonic when used as a guitar cable. Using a guitar cable also has high capacitance so its unlikely you'd get the best sound quality using it as a speaker cable.

So my best advice is use the right cable for the right job and you'll never have to blame yourself if it blows.

Archived