I bought a Roland Micro Cube practice amp. It's good.

NoirAbattoir

• Members

I was pretty surprised. For $125 bucks you can get this little battery powered ss jobber that has built in effects (reverb/delay, and phase, flange, chorus, trem).

The damn overdrive settings clean up when you roll the volume on your guitar back. :eek: That was the clincher for me. You can dial in a {censored}load of tones.

The only thing I would like from it would be a bit more headroom on the clean settings and volume. In order to remedy that I bought a 6" jensen Mod speaker to replace the 5 inch speaker. I may have to bust out the jigsaw on this one.

• Members

Thanks to all the rave about this amp here on these forums,I went out and bought one these micro- cubes today myself.

I like it alot except for the speaker craps out on mine on the low notes even at lower volumes, is this normal for this amp or should I take it back and get another one.

Lower volume means even at 1/4 or 1/2 way up its worse on the

stack and the brit combo mode also when using more gain it gets worse.

• Members

I agree that it does seem to crap out a bit. Especially with pickups that are even moderately hot. My LP does that, it seems. My Ibanez Artcore, however, sounds pretty damn sweet. The pickups are lower output. You get a fuller tone when the signal isn't too hot.

You can also try rolling back the volume knob on your guitar, too. i have noticed thathelps. You have to tweak these knobs for the different sounds. There in there, but you have to do a bit of tweking to find them.

• Members

I have a godin exit 22 and yes the pickups are fairly hot on it,so this is normal for this amp would you say,its a great little amp,just that the speaker buzzing out anoys me.

No problems on the jc clean as long the gain isnt over 1/2 way.

Thanks for getting back in this issue,Ive been lurking around these boards and learning alot of stuff here,but never really needed to ask anything till now.

• Members

You are correct colorsound,rolling back the guitar volume does make a big difference.I did buy this amp for low volume playing to save the tubes on my blues jnr as I do spend alot of time with guitar sometimes 3hrs a day.Drum machine sounds not bad thru it also.

Let us know how much work and what was involved in putting in your new speaker,I may just do the same thing if makes a big improvement.

• Members

Originally posted by marvo

You are correct colorsound,rolling back the guitar volume does make a big difference.I did buy this amp for low volume playing to save the tubes on my blues jnr as I do spend alot of time with guitar sometimes 3hrs a day.Drum machine sounds not bad thru it also.

Let us know how much work and what was involved in putting in your new speaker,I may just do the same thing if makes a big improvement.

Actually, I made a thread over at www.webervst.com and Ted Weber is going to look into the possibility of making a 5 inch replacement speaker that could add volume and headroom to the amp. I think there would be a lot of people who would go for that kind of mod on this amp.

• Members

I have seen post after post after post of people praising the Micro Cube. I really think more people need to take a look at the larger Cube 30 and 60 when they are thinking about a practice or studio amp. The 60 is loud enough to practice and play small gigs with, IMO, unless you have a drummer from hell. They get more wattage out than you would think and sound about double what a normal 30 or 60 watt SS amp would sound like. You get nice sounds at low and high volumes and the amp sometimes seem a bit tubelike when cranked. I am not saying you get the saturation just like a tube amp but they do have something in the circuit that gives them a more tube-like quality. Roland is well know for their quality and for their effects and the built in ones are OK, with the chorus and delay being the best IMO. You do not have the adjustability of the pedals so they are not tweakable which does hurt them some. They really sound good and are right up there if not better than the Vox modelers. The Vox have been iffy on the reliability so that has to be factored in as well. No they are not the end all to amps and they are not a tube amp but I think they get overlooked way too much. For the price they are a great value and you won't wake the family or the neighbors late at night. I have had a 30 for over a year now and have really enjoyed it. For cleans they mimic the JC series almost perfectly and with a little chorus you can instantly nail Metallica clean tones. If you are looking for a good modeler or studio amp, as I already said, give them a good look. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyChains

I have seen post after post after post of people praising the Micro Cube. I really think more people need to take a look at the larger Cube 30 and 60 when they are thinking about a practice or studio amp. The 60 is loud enough to practice and play small gigs with, IMO, unless you have a drummer from hell. They get more wattage out than you would think and sound about double what a normal 30 or 60 watt SS amp would sound like. You get nice sounds at low and high volumes and the amp sometimes seem a bit tubelike when cranked. I am not saying you get the saturation just like a tube amp but they do have something in the circuit that gives them a more tube-like quality. Roland is well know for their quality and for their effects and the built in ones are OK, with the chorus and delay being the best IMO. You do not have the adjustability of the pedals so they are not tweakable which does hurt them some. They really sound good and are right up there if not better than the Vox modelers. The Vox have been iffy on the reliability so that has to be factored in as well. No they are not the end all to amps and they are not a tube amp but I think they get overlooked way too much. For the price they are a great value and you won't wake the family or the neighbors late at night. I have had a 30 for over a year now and have really enjoyed it. For cleans they mimic the JC series almost perfectly and with a little chorus you can instantly nail Metallica clean tones. If you are looking for a good modeler or studio amp, as I already said, give them a good look. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

yes, but overhere cube 30 costs 2.5 times more than the microcube, and cube 60 about three times more than the MC... for people who need a REALLY portable and small amp (also can be used with batteries) i think the MC is the one... it's like a joke amp that actually sounds good...

• Members

Anyone else have the speaker buzzing out problem or is it only me,just wondering if I should take it back and try another one.

Like I said earlier, mine only really buzzes with pickups that are mildly hot. With low output pickups I can crank the gain and volume for the JC setting and it is clean as can be. Very nice... With the hot ones I have to turn the gain down quite a bit before it will stop buzzing. The problem is that you lost quite a bit of volume when you have to do this. This cube loves my ibanez artcore and I can literally crank it for the cleans and it is smooth and clear. No buzz...

• Members

Just got back from music store,tried two other micros and they were ok,so it seems my amp had a problem.So now I am happy with the micro-cube.

It is very sensitive to the signal, though. That's how it cleans up with the turn of the guitar's volume. Pretty neat...

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

One of these days I will buy one. It could be great for playing in the street after work.

+1

I already have one "micro" amp, epiphone 1 watt... but microcube kills it.. One day I'll buy all micro amps that I can find (MC, marshall 1 watt, fender micro twin (something like that))... these things are really funny and some are great like MC, but it would be cool to have them all :D

I love to put that little epi around my neck on a belt and walk around in my neighbourhood playin some sweet blues... :D

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by LPbluesboy

So the micro wouldn't work well with EMG 81 pickups?

I dunno. I would try it out and see. Mine seems to like lower output pickups. I guess it depends on the tones you are looking for. It is just a practice amp, afterall.

• Members

Thanks to all the rave about this amp here on these forums,I went out and bought one these micro- cubes today myself.

I like it alot except for the speaker craps out on mine on the low notes even at lower volumes, is this normal for this amp or should I take it back and get another one.

Lower volume means even at 1/4 or 1/2 way up its worse on the

stack and the brit combo mode also when using more gain it gets worse.

It does that when I use my LP but never when I use my SSS Strat.

I will have to try reducing the volume of my pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Actually, I made a thread over at
www.webervst.com
and Ted Weber is going to look into the possibility of making a 5 inch replacement speaker that could add volume and headroom to the amp. I think there would be a lot of people who would go for that kind of mod on this amp.

I would jump on it as long as it was priced well.

Archived