OT: Prot Tools Users need some advice...

Kyle DiSanto

• Members

I want to put protools software on my laptop. It is a PC and i was wondering if the protools works just as well on PC as it does on MAc. I have heard mixed things about this and just need some advice. Protools is a program that I am familiar with because the studio that I record at uses the software...however on MAc not PC. Any info about this topic would be awsome. Things like, Can I work on something that was done on a MAC and then say mix it on my comp that is a PC and etc etc.

THANKS

KYLE

• Members

ProTools works just fine on PCs. And yes, you can set it up so that you can work with a file on both MAC and PC.

Also, you do know that you have to connect either a digidesign or m-audio hardware interface to use PT, right? Check out the
"DUC" (user group forums) at digidesign's website. The PTLE fourm for PC users has a "best laptop" thread you should check out....great info in that thread, and the forum in general.

• Members

If it's just for editing/mixing, you don't need an interface. Just make sure you have a hardrive that has atleast a 7200rpm rating if you are going to record. And when saving a project, you can select the files to be PC/Mac compatible.

• Members

Also, external drives are great if you use software like Protools on a regular basis.

They allow you to take you work with you and can be used for archiving/backup purposes.

FireWire external drives are what most people would probably recommend.

• Members

Originally posted by SGavin

If it's just for editing/mixing, you don't need an interface. Just make sure you have a hardrive that has atleast a 7200rpm rating if you are going to record. And when saving a project, you can select the files to be PC/Mac compatible.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Pro Tools LE uses the hardware as the audio interface and won't start up if it doesn't detect it's presence. I use a Digi002 with my Mac and PT won't start unless i'ts plugged in.

• Members

There are free versions of ProTools that you can download, I did so when I was in school so I could practice my editing chops. I did it with a PC and no interface.

It's been a while since I have used ProTools though, so I could be wrong.;)

Archived