Is there a worse singer than James Labrie?

willy22

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm a big DT fan (or at least proclaim myself to be one) and I agree. He can drift off key and sometimes get a little annoying. However, it seems to work well for them. :) If you ask me, Portnoy is a better singer, not in range but in an "easier to listen to" tone.

• Members

Originally posted by Duolos

The ones not doing anything usually talk most......sell some records then talk....
:rolleyes:

So I can't have an opinion? Dream Theatre is an amazing band. I own alot of their records. But I have never gotten used to his voice. I got used to Bruce Dickinson and even Geddy Lee, just can't do it with Labrie, and I've been trying since 1994.

I know my place. I'm nowhere near the talent of any of those guys and probably never will be. I'm ok with that.

I've always talked alot of {censored} here. Just ask around.

:rolleyes::p

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

I wish they had the guy from Symphony-X

Russell Allen is a great singer. :cool: He's also really cool. During Gigantour, he came up to the balcony (where I was sitting) and we got to meet him. He went up further to some private booth to watch Megadeth.

• Members

la brie has gotten better, his range is weak, he used to be pretty poor, especially coming from a band of perfectionists, however, it's too late for dream theater to get anyone else. they're branded with him and a band with no james labrie is no dream theater, in my book. i'd love to hear the band with someone else but it wouldn't be the same band.

• Members

As far as pro singers go, Labrie's never really been any good.

He used to have a pretty big range, but his pitch was never that fantastic. In the studio he was usually pretty close to being spot on, but live he was pretty damn average, even back in the Awake days 'n' whatnot.

These days he just plain sucks. His voice sounds weak, his range is nothing amazing, his pitch accuracy is non-existant, and 90% of the time while he's doing his whining, wailing {censored}, you can't understand a word he's saying.

That said, Portnoy and Petrucci can't sing for {censored} either.

• Members

Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior

As far as pro singers go, Labrie's never really been any good.

He used to have a pretty big range, but his pitch was never that fantastic. In the studio he was usually pretty close to being spot on, but live he was pretty damn average, even back in the Awake days 'n' whatnot.

These days he just plain sucks. His voice sounds weak, his range is nothing amazing, his pitch accuracy is non-existant, and 90% of the time while he's doing his whining, wailing {censored}, you can't understand a word he's saying.

+1000000000

Man, was that review spot-on or what? I USED to be one of the biggest DT fans in the world. Hell, I caught around 70 shows on their I&W N. American tour!! I have live bootlegs gallore, and while LaBrie goes well to tape (nothing a little compression and pitch correction can't fix), he is horrible live. Besides major pitch problems, he gets this irritating screechy quality to his voice. I call it "The Owl Timbre"! :mad:

I would say they should score a new singer, but overall, I've been so unimpressed with the band as a whole, I simply don't care anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by BerkleeBill

I would say they should score a new singer, but overall, I've been so unimpressed with the band as a whole, I simply don't care anymore.

+1

At the end of my post I was going to say something along the lines of, "But then, DT's latest efforts aren't even worth singing over anyway, so what does it matter?", but I figured it'd just start another argument about whether or not DT suck.

A lot of people crap on about how such and such singer should replace Labrie 'n' whatnot, but IMO, a good singer would just go to waste in DT. The focus in that band isn't on the vocals, it's on tasteless masturbation. They don't need a good singer, they need someone to fill the gaps between solos.

IMO DT have got no sound of their own anymore. Back on I&W and Awake 'n' whatnot, they had a sound. These days they sound like a band trying to be everyone else (and they're sucking pretty hard at it too).