Price Is Right Content: Bob Barker's Microphone

Zakko

• Members

Originally posted by Zakko

What the hell model is it?!?

Where the hell can I get one?!?

Image a hardcore band with a front-man with that mic...

:love:

I remember reading somewhere that Shure makes that mic especially for him. Its really hard to find originals, so Shure provides them to Bob........pretty cool, actually! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by B Money

I've often wondered about that mic. Never seen another one like it, must be custom made especially for Bob. A hardcore singer would rule with that mic, but only if he wore a 70's leisure suit and dyed his hair "Barker" Black.

:love:

• Members

Sometimes I build my own little mics but they're usually a stereo pair, but I have done a few mono ones and stuck them in a black tube/piping Barker style. they're pretty sweet, especially when you put the little windscreens on :thu:

MJ

• Members
Originally posted by 4nkam

Sometimes I build my own little mics but they're usually a stereo pair, but I have done a few mono ones and stuck them in a black tube/piping Barker style. they're pretty sweet, especially when you put the little windscreens on
:thu:

MJ

Hypothetically, would it be possible for you to fabricate one out of an SM58?

• Members

Sounds similar to how I've built mine, only the capsules I use are normal panasonic ones :p

From the Sennheiser site:

Now in its 34th season, making it the longest running game show in television history, "The Price is Right" is hosted by Bob Barker, winner of 12 Daytime Emmy Awards. The show is shot on The Bob Barker Stage, formerly Stage 33, the best-known soundstage on the lot and the former home of "The Carol Burnett Show."

"On 'The Price is Right,' Bob Barker has his own KM 140, which we've made onto a custom lightweight shaft for him," Sciarrotta continues. "It has the Neumann 40 capsule on the head of the shaft. And the body of the mic - the 100 - is at the input patch on the wall on a 60-foot cable. I've also made a cool pop filter that fits under the windscreen. All of the microphones are hard-wired."

In 1980, "The Price is Right" took the top spot as the most popular daytime game show from "Family Feud," which debuted on ABC in 1976 and become the most-watched game show within its first year. Actor Richard Karn, who previously played Tim Allen's sidekick in "Home Improvement," hosts "Family Feud," which today is in syndication.

Sciarrotta, three-time Emmy nominee, who has a 19-year background in live, recording and theater audio, has been in television production for the last seven years, starting when he first joined the crew on "Family Feud." Each of the shows demands slightly different models of Neumann microphones because of the physical setup on their respective soundstages, he says.

"On 'Family Feud' we have to have the hypers, because the contestants are standing shoulder to shoulder. The podiums are quite low because the director likes to get a nice camera shot, so the microphones are in turn lower, so that microphone gives more isolation from the contestant next to them along with a longer reach. That's why the 50 capsules work so well," he explains.

In contrast, he says, "On the 'The Price is Right' we use the 40 cardioid capsules, because there's so much SPL from the audience and so much going on overhead, Bob Baker's foldback monitors."

Neumann's award winning line of microphones has set the standard in the industry since 1928. In 1999, Neumann received the prestigious Technical Grammy(r) for their 70 years of innovation in microphone design and contribution to the music industry. A continuing commitment to provide innovative, technically refined products and engineering solutions of proven quality ensures that Neumann's stature will remain unassailable.

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by Zakko

Hypothetically, would it be possible for you to fabricate one out of an SM58?

Sure, as long as you wouldn't mind a larger capsule. If you really wanted to make your own like that, you would be better off buying the components separately though.

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

Sure, as long as you wouldn't mind a larger capsule. If you really wanted to make your own like that, you would be better off buying the components separately though.

MJ

I've never tinkered into the insides of a mic..

Is it more complated than wiring a guitar from scratch?

• 11 years later...

The one he used for years was the Sony ECM-51. That mic was used on tons of other 70s era game shows too, including Match Game.

Best of all - it telescopes.

ecm51a1.jpg

ecm51a2.jpg

ecm51a4.jpg

http://misterk60.com/ecm51.html

Here's a picture of Bob with the original Sony mic.

barkersplit.jpg?w=612

Apparently he switched to a Sony ECM-510 later for a brief period (an improved ECM-51) and I think Bob switched to the custom Neumann KM140 after that... here's the final PIR episode with him and the Neumann.

E1Y8V6J5PS838UQ.jpg

Archived