Ken Lawrence Explorer Copy

Taco2004

• Members

TOUCHY subject. Ken really doesn't like people copying his work without permission, mainly inlays and his headstock. But...the folks at shamray have attempted to make copies before and probably will still do so.

On the other hand, a friend of mine made two FOR HIMSELF after getting Ken's permission. Check em out, he's building me a custom explorer right now :)

1elk004.jpg

9afce539.jpg

bubsingl001.jpg

bubsingl006b.jpg

bubsingl007b.jpg

c67ab897.jpg

dadsinglecut.jpg

dadsinglecut002.jpg

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

MJ, you never fail to post some dead sexy guitar pics...when are you gonna make an online database of all these pix you have?

i really like that lp shape, and the archtop strat one
:love:

That would take a long, long, long, loooooooong time, haha :p

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by xiwiwix

Who's your friend?? Does he have a website? Does he sell guitars?

Take Care

Rob Robinson (rrr3 on the esp board) is the dude that builds these. His site isrrr3 but it's pretty much just the same pix.

He does sell them but since it's a one man job, he only takes a few builds at a time. But folks that have one or have played his guitars say they are well worth the wait and best of all, he doesn't really charge "custom shop" prices, his prices are pretty decent for what he does.

He's finishing up several guitars now and might take on a few new builds. He just started on my explorer so I'm pretty stoked! It's gonna be natural with a chechen top and grenadillo board :)

MJ

• Members

yep, I think that's where shamray doesn't come close at all. But Rob does, he has access to nice woods as you can see :) Compare his guitars to the real KL in my pix, it's the one where there are two explorers pictured with the flamed maple on the botoom. Then it's in the pic where there are four explorers, one black and three natural ones. The KL is the one above the black explorer.

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

Shamray will build me a lefty silverburst.
:eek:

(not many people will)

I'm putting serious consideration to having them build me either a silverburst LP or a silverburst PRS. Either way I can get exactly what I was and it will still be cheaper that either a real Gibson or PRS.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny toetags

Can't wait to see the final product 4nkam.

Out of curiosity, how does your friend's compare price-wise to the Edwards?

His price for an explorer is probably double an Edwards, but you can bet your life that the quality is AT LEAST double/triple that of an edwards explorer too. Rob and my friend Sean both owned edwards, ESP, and Ken Lawrence explorers at one point. Both came to the conclusion that the edwards couldn't compare to any of them at all. It was WAAAY light, had significantly less sustain, and just felt a bit on the cheaper side...that is of course after comparing them to the "real" explorers.

But other guys have played Rob's guitars (That he has made) and said they are VERY good :)

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

His price for an explorer is probably double an Edwards, but you can bet your life that the quality is AT LEAST double/triple that of an edwards explorer too. Rob and my friend Sean both owned edwards, ESP, and Ken Lawrence explorers at one point. Both came to the conclusion that the edwards couldn't compare to any of them at all. It was WAAAY light, had significantly less sustain, and just felt a bit on the cheaper side...that is of course after comparing them to the "real" explorers.

But other guys have played Rob's guitars (That he has made) and said they are VERY good
:)

MJ

Good.

Then I won't bother with the Edwards then.

I love my Gibson Explorer, so I would only want to get something equal or better.

I look forward to your review :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

But other guys have played Rob's guitars (That he has made) and said they are VERY good
:)

MJ

I was really wanting one of the Edwards months ago until I read you didn't really think yours sounded/felt like a real Explorer...

I don't even want anything fancy..just a black explorer, black hardware, ebony board, maybe some cream binding like the one Dean has...locking tuners...tone pros tune-o-matic and tail..EMG's..*shrug*.

Archived