Anyone know what rig Mick Mars used For Dr.Feel GOod?

danjovi

• Members

Ya, as I recall, sounds like a straight up cranked JMP or JCM 800 to me, maybe boosted for the solo. I don't see why it would need to be modded.

On second thought, maybe it was modded. I've always thought his tone was ballsier than anything I've ever heard. I suppose it could just be the combination of amp, guitar, pickups and strings though.

• Members

That whole album kicks ass and Mick doesn't get enough credit for it IMO.

Whatever he used Dr. Feelgood is crushing.

But keep in mind that alot of what you hear in that song is bass/drums too....that's part of the heaviness. The guitar by itself wouldn't be extremely heavy.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

But keep in mind that alot of what you hear in that song is bass/drums too....that's part of the heaviness. The guitar by itself wouldn't be extremely heavy.

+1

Say what you want about Bob Rock but that guy knows how to put together a badass, radio-ready rock'n'roll album. The self-titled album with Corabi is another example. Talk about an underrated heavy guitar tone, and the drumming is positively SAVAGE!

• Members

Originally posted by PlayboyChris

+1

Say what you want about Bob Rock but that guy knows how to put together a badass, radio-ready rock'n'roll album. The self-titled album with Corabi is another example. Talk about an underrated heavy guitar tone, and the drumming is positively SAVAGE!

Yeah, I personally think Bob's work on Feelgood was astounding.

• Members

I remember reading that mick said he used as many guitars and amps as possible (dunno if that was the same CD or what) But he said that they would do a bunch of tracks, then do them over again with a really {censored}ty guitar and a really {censored}ty amp, and mix them in with everything.

• Members

Originally posted by PlayboyChris

+1

The whole mix of the Corabi disc is top notch. My band is hitting the studio in October and that is the exact type of drum sound I want on there. I have always been a Crue fan and I agree Mick Mars never gets any credit but he's great.

• Members

a fact about late 80's crushing hair metal

motley crue, slaughter, etc.

try:

50 tracks panned left and right with about 20 different amps. Also, try clean, dirty, medium, searing, ultra-dirty, and everyhting in between while you're at it.

production and equipment peaked quality-wise and price-wise in about 1990.:(

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

a fact about late 80's crushing hair metal

motley crue, slaughter, etc.

try:

50 tracks panned left and right with about 20 different amps. Also, try clean, dirty, medium, searing, ultra-dirty, and everyhting in between while you're at it.

production and equipment peaked quality-wise and price-wise in about 1990.
:(

just to reiterate.

you can't get that tone.

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

I've read that Mick has used VHTs on occasion.

I agree completely with the Corabi album. Totally underrated and the Crue's heaviest.
:thu:

I totally agree. the Motley Corabi album was their best and I grew up on Motley ....loved Motley ....but I knew a good thing when I heard it - when they went for the $$, I lost a lot of respect for them. Still love 'em and will probably go see them again but ...just sayin..

:wave:

oh, I'm pretty sure Mick strarted recording w/ Soldano's around the time of the Decade of Decandance CD - pretty sure Dr Feelgood was still Marshalls

Archived