Best EL34 for 1974 Marshall Super Bass?

skunky_funk

• Members

Hey I just wanna describe how the Marshall Super Bass sounds... Compared to a Superlead, it has a tad more bottom, and has a smoother top. The Normal Channel ironically, does not sound farty unlike how the SLP sounds. The Bright channel of the Super Bass is a lot more pronounced in the lower mids. To make a long story short, the Super Bass is a fatter-sounding, less glassy sounding Superlead.

Now, here's the question. What EL34 would you recommend to add more sizzle in the upper mids and make the bottom much tighter? I tried JJ E34Ls and it made the amp sound fatter but somewhat I miss the glassiness. What about JJ EL34s and KT77s? Do the SED Winged Cs have that character?

• Members

I have Mullards in my 73 SuperLead and they run great...unless you have your amp volume(s) above 6-7 you probably are looking more to the preamp tubes or a few component changes to achieve what you are looking for. Surprisingly, the Ruby EL34 tubes sound great in Marshalls.

• Members

Exactly - start with preamp tubes to get the most tonal change. But if you want glassiness out of a SB, you might need to look beyond tubes.

What preamp tubes seem to drive the amp with more upper mid aggressiveness? Do you think JJ ECC803s can do that? The JJs seem to have nice smooth tops. and clear but fat lows.

• Members

What preamp tubes seem to drive the amp with more upper mid aggressiveness? Do you think JJ ECC803s can do that? The JJs seem to have nice smooth tops. and clear but fat lows.

When somebody says more aggressiveness, the first thing I think is RFT's...

• Members

Mullard reissues sound great but IMO they are unreliable. I saw a new pair crap out not less than two hours ago. JJ's can't take plate voltage. Sed's have a nice chewy sound and have been reliable for me.

If you have a truly kickin' amp, then I'd look into some NOS sylvania 6CA7's. They will be pricey if you can find them in several matched pairs, but the tone is great.

Archived