What amp was the tone for Megadeth's Youthanasia?

Soulcrusher_X

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool, thanks. Is there anything in a head form that could compare to that setup?

The CAA OD-100 SE Head by John Suhr.

John Suhr actually designed the CAE 3+ SE preamp and it was sold by Bob Bradshaw.

The OD-100 SE is based on that logic

• Members

friedman didn't use the blue voodoo until cryptic writings.

they both used the VHT/CAE setup for the countdown album/tour and the youthanasia album/tour.

Thats what I've read too. What was used on RIP? I think the VHT was on there but am not clear on the preamp.

• Members

Thats what I've read too. What was used on RIP? I think the VHT was on there but am not clear on the preamp.

Nobody is totally sure, but it is something from these:

Bogner Fish (most people think this is what was used)

Bogner Triple Giant (my guess, note: not the hafler, but the actual bogner TG))

Tube Works preamp

????? who knows ????

I've heard reports there was some JCM800 on there too.:confused:

• Members

Actually, it is noted that Friedman used a Crate Blue Voodoo during that album and also on Cryptic Writings as well.

Yep. I also saw Marty at a clinic and he played his BV120H and Matching Celestion loaded cabs and his tone and playing were very top notch and nailed the Megadeth tones too a T.

Highly over hated amp IMO and honestly has a great clean and a very hot Marshall'ish gain that with a bit of looped EQ help can sound as good as many of the big byz amps out there.

• Members

I was sure Mustaine used a Rocktron Piranha??

I could be mistaken for another album though.
:idk:

I'm pretty sure the Piranha was Risk. He could have used them some on Cryptic but dunno for sure.

• Members

I thought the Rocktron he used was the prophesy? Then again.....maybe that was for just one Album or maybe even just his bedroom rig. The ProphesyII that I saw on ebay comes with a "Mustaine" setting. I wonder if he forgets his own settings. lol

So do the VHT 2150 power amps just kick ass in general?

• Members

I thought the Rocktron he used was the prophesy? Then again.....maybe that was for just one Album or maybe even just his bedroom rig. The ProphesyII that I saw on ebay comes with a "Mustaine" setting. I wonder if he forgets his own settings. lol

So do the VHT 2150 power amps just kick ass in general?

yes

• Members

you can get very close to that tone, and very cheaply, with head/cab setup. JCM 900 with a Boss GE-7 in the fx loop will get you extremely close. that tone was pretty dry, with not much low end, which is what the 900 does well. it was the only usable tone I was able to get out of it. it's just a dry amp with almost no low end and tons of honk.

• Members
you can get very close to that tone, and very cheaply, with head/cab setup. JCM 900 with a Boss GE-7 in the fx loop will get you extremely close. that tone was pretty dry, with not much low end, which is what the 900 does well. it was the only usable tone I was able to get out of it. it's just a dry amp with almost no low end and tons of honk.

Countdown seemed pretty dry to me, but Youthanasia sounds pretty thick.

• Members

Ok I guess Marty didnt start using the BV's until 96 or so. I think guitarslinger was spot on. The consensus is Cae,Rocktron or Modded Marshall for Marty pre 96 I believe. All this amp talk yesterday made me breakout both Youthanasia and Hidden Treasures and both very much kicks ass btw.

99 ways to Die and Et toute Le monde are gonna be the two Megadeth covers my weekend band does.

• Members

Ok I guess Marty didnt start using the BV's until 96 or so. I think guitarslinger was spot on. The consensus is Cae,Rocktron or Modded Marshall for Marty pre 96 I believe. All this amp talk yesterday made me breakout both Youthanasia and Hidden Treasures and both very much kicks ass btw.

99 ways to Die and Et toute Le monde are gonna be the two Megadeth covers my weekend band does.

Yeah, they are definitely kickass discs. My drummer and I made a spoof cover of 99 ways to die. We call it 99's Steak and Fries. It's going to be a hit at all 99 Restaraunts. lol :lol:

Archived