My new "Charvel" build

A.Pulverizer

• Members

A bit of backround here, just in case anyone missed it.

Back in the day, a cat named Amir Derakh played this guitar in Rough Cutt.

Jacksons3.jpg

A while back, a dealer placed a Charvel order for a 4 piece "Desert Fox" LTD run based on that guitar.

The order was accepted and everything was going as normal. Then, the dealer posted pics of the guitars before they were shipped in order to help sell them.

2781.jpg

Well, the pics caused a {censored}storm on a certain forum. All sorts of crazy things were said, including someone hoping that some lunatic out there would firebomb the dealer that placed the order for such an obscene guitar. :freak:

Well, the folks at FMIC caught wind of this and recalled the guitars and had them refinished, so as not to offend anyone.

72df_3.jpg

I thought that it was lame to cave in to a couple whiners on the internet.

I mean, they can have boob guitars and satanic guitars and rotting corpse uncle sam guitars, but not a finish they had done in the past???

I really dug the thing the way it was originally, and wanted one. Piss on the watered down politically correct version.

I went and placed an order for a "Charvel" body and neck.

guitarbuild018.jpg

guitarbuild016.jpg

Shipped the body out for paint and while I waited...

Picked up some lightly used Duncan pickups in TGP Classifieds.

Found some old, minty Schaller Mini tuners (They say made in W Germany)that were stupid cheap

Went with a new Floyd as you only save about $30 on a used one in good shape.

Rest of the parts came from stew-mac and guitarpartsresource.

Charvel logo came from the bay

guitarbuild005.jpg

I had a neck plate made that I think is quite cheeky

guitarbuild070.jpg

Throw it all together and you get this.

guitarbuild089.jpg

guitarbuild101.jpg

Specs:

San Dimas Charvel Body

Handed: Right Handed

Wood Type: 2 PC Mahogany -

Neck Pocket Style: 2-1/4 (Angled, Floyd Style) -

Neck Pickup: Humbucker

Middle Pickup: None

Bridge Pickup: Humbucker

Bridge Style Rout: Flush Mount Floyd Rose

Control Cavity Type: Rear Charvel Style -

Jack Hole Size and Location: Side 7/8 Use with Rear Conrtol

Top Arm Contour: Standard Charvel Style

Rear Tummy Contour: Standard Charvel Style

Corner Radius: 3/8 Charvel Style

Additional Options: Drill Neck Mounting Holes 4 Bolt

Floyd Bushing Style Mounting Holes

The body weighed a whopping 3lbs 13.9 oz on the scale at the post office.

San Dimas Charvel Neck

Handed: Right Handed

Nut Style: Floyd Rose Shelf -

Neck Wood: Flame Maple Premium Grade -

Fingerboard Wood: Black Ebony -

Number of Frets: 22 Fret with Finger Board Extention

Finger Board Radius: Compound 12-16 -

Finger Board Inlay: Mother Of Pearl -

Side Markers: Mother Of Pearl -

Fret Size and Type: Jumbo 6100 (.110 Wide X .055 Tall)

Tuner Hole Size: Standard 10 mm Gotoh / Sperzel / Shaller

Nut Width: 1-11/16

Heel Type and Size: Strat Heel 2-1/4

Truss Rod Option: Dual Acting Adjust at Heel

Neck Profile: Custom Thin C .750 At First Fret .880 12th

Finish: Clear satin nitrocellulose lacquer back and head stock

Additional Options: Standard Semi Rolled Finger Board Edges

Narrow 12th Dots Spacing Post 1964 and Charvel

Duncan JB and 59N, Original Floyd Rose, Schaller tuners, Switchcraft 3 way switch, push pull coil splitting volume, Dunlop strap locks.

Right now, it needs a fret dress. The frets are just a tad worse than the new Charvel customs I played at a couple shops. That's to say sub-par.

I have it set up with 10s and tuned down 1/2 step.

I've been playing Charvel and Jackson Soloist neck thrus forever and the neck carve is pretty close. I'm not used to 22 frets and the heel though. It takes a minor adjustment for me.

I lowerd the position of the volume as compared to the "real Charvels". It would get in my way if it was any higher.

Only been playing it a couple days now, but so far, I'm diggin it.

Being my first build, I did learn a couple things.

Drill your holes for your controls plenty big. They get smaller with paint and clear.

I don't think I would pay for the flame maple or the satin finished neck again. Just go quartersawn. I'd feel comfortable sprayig reranch nitro laquer now.

I sprayed over the logo with reranch clear and it came out plenty good. I'd never say pro quality, but I can't tell the difference.

The Charvels sold for stupid $$$

I saved a {censored}load and got equal quality, the finish and the specs I wanted, so I'm happy.

I'm looking forward to another project.

And no, I'm not a Nazi. I just play one on the internet.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored} the haters. The guitar looks awesome. People need to get over what that symbol evokes. The swastika was around for thousands of years before the Nazis adopted it, and after all, it's just a symbol. People do evil things. Hate and fear those people, but don't let a mere symbol have such power. Don't let it offend you, and it ceases to be offensive.

• Members

The swastika was around for thousands of years before the Nazis adopted it,

I considered that. But the CONTEXT here is unmistakable.

HOWEVER

The ESP/Lynch Kamikaze could be taken just as offensively. So can the crucifix for that matter.

In the end, I'm with you. We should quit being so sensitive.

• Members

{censored} the haters. The guitar looks awesome. People need to get over what that symbol evokes. The swastika was around for thousands of years before the Nazis adopted it, and after all, it's just a symbol. People do evil things. Hate and fear those people, but don't let a mere symbol have such power. Don't let it offend you, and it ceases to be offensive.

oh give me a {censored}ing break. yeah that symbol was around for a while, just not with the eagle or anything. its very very clear what it represents. I am not offended by the symbol but I acknowledge what it represents, mass hate and genocide.

• Members

The swastika is a ancient and powerful , power symbol , it is still used in art and architecture today . Thing is the Nazi's perverted and distorted it much like the other ancient icons and power symbols they tried to claim as their own .

hard to think of it as the ancient ephesus symbol whent it is near a Balkenkreuz

• Members

oh give me a {censored}ing break. yeah that symbol was around for a while, just not with the eagle or anything. its very very clear what it represents. I am not offended by the symbol but I acknowledge what
it represents, mass hate and genocide

You say that like it's a bad thing...

:p

• Members

I just wonder why it was so important to you to include it on your guitar? What statement are you trying to make? In an artistically challenging way, I appreciate it, but honestly all you seem to be saying is "I'm an insensitive prick, and the attempted eradication of one of the oldest cultures in the World is irrelevant to my need to show what a rebel I am".

I have this same problem with the Confederate flag. When placed in context, it is an emotionally and artistically provocative symbol. But most people just slap it on their trucks to be an ass, because they think it's "cool".

So it's not the swastika, but the apparent complete lack of thought or sensitivity on your part that becomes offensive. But maybe there's a level of irony or statement you are making with it? Are you Jewish?

Archived