Any way to test power tubes if the preamp tubes are blown?

bob the dentist

• Members

In my 5150 II, two of the 12AX7 preamp tubes are blown/dead/whatever - all i know is that unlike the other four, they are cold when i turn them on. And so are all the 6L6's, but if the preamp tubes aren't working, shouldn't the 6L6's not have any power in them anyway?

If i'm right in assuming this, how do I check if the power tubes are dead? it wouldn't be a big deal to have to replace them too, but it would be nice to not have to spend the money on another four.

• Members

Well, i guess since everyone has decided to only say vaguely ominous things to indicate that they think it's not simply dead tubes, i'll elaborate :lol:

The amp powers on, the standby works, all the lights on the front work, so it's not a fuse.

However, I just swapped the pre amp tubes around, and its the slots that are broken, not the tubes. the 1st and 3rd preamp tube slots are cold no matter what tube i put in it.

And no sound comes out of the amp when plugged into a guitar/cab.

• Members
Well, i guess since everyone has decided to only say vaguely ominous things to indicate that they think it's not simply dead tubes, i'll elaborate
:lol:

The amp powers on, the standby works, all the lights on the front work, so it's not a fuse.

However, I just swapped the pre amp tubes around, and its the slots that are broken, not the tubes. the 1st and 3rd preamp tube slots are cold no matter what tube i put in it.

And no sound comes out of the amp when plugged into a guitar/cab.

Definitely tech time!

Archived