How are the 5150 Cabs?

madrigal77

• Members

There not that bad, Theres not much differance between the marshall and peavey cabs, ive owned both, Flame suit on:lol:

Well Marshalls have Celstions and the Peavey has crappy Sheffields, but Marshalls seem to go about 500 used here. At that price I may as well just spend the bit extra to get a new Avatar or WhiteBox.

I'm basically just looking for a cheap cab for jamming at home with, so it doesn't have to be the best. I just don't want it to sound like crap :lol:

• Members

I got mine for $100. It sounds good for metal. It can handle lots of low end and stay tight and focused, but maybe to cold sounding for rock music. I don't know what people mean by "muddy and flubby." To me it stays much tighter than a v30 cab, and those Marshall cabs with the 75's are awful unless you change the speakers. $350 is too much though.

• Members

I had one for a while when I bought my first 5150 it came with it , it was a slant I had that and a marshall 1960a. I liked them both I though the 5150 def had more low end . I painted Jane Doe on the back of mine but eventually sold it to guitar center for 250 bucks. In the end I kept the marshall around longer. But damn I miss that cab and wish I could find it . the Jane Doe was cute.

• Members

trust me take the time and find a marshall cab in that price range. it isn't too hard. just offer people that amount, lots of people will post higher prices but $350 is fair for most marshall cabs from the 80s on.

OP lives in Canada. You have to have a tremendous amount of luck to find a 1960/JCM800/JCM900/etc cab for $350

• Members

I owned one for 6 years. Sold it for $250 and still felt bad for the buyer (it was in great shape BTW). Absolutely the worst sounding cab I've ever played through by quite a margin. It wasn't the speakers either. I swapped a mix of V30s and G12T75s into it and it still sounded horrible. It's something about the construction of that cab. How did it sound bad? The easiest way to say it is that it sounded completely dead. None of that 3D sound that a good cab makes was there. The sound was blurry and undefined. The low end was loose. I'm not kidding when I say that I wouldn't even take one for free because I would have no use for it.

• Members

They arent as bad as every one claims. I prefer mine over my old avatar (speakers aside) and over any marshall cab Ive played. I dont think I would pay over 250 for one, but I think its a killer cab, and its MUCH MUCH better than people make it out to be.

• Members

The 5150/6505 cab seems to be a love/hate thing, it seems to mate well with most Marshalls and of course most of Peavey's amps, as it seems to round them out(IMHO). But not everyone might like it's darker, bassier sound, particularly those who are more accustomed to hearing Celestions in Marshall cabs.

• Members

I owned one for
(like a week)
. Sold it for
$300
and still felt bad for the buyer (it was in
bad
shape BTW). Absolutely the worst sounding cab I've ever played through by quite a margin.

I edited this post to reflect my personal experience.

I really didn't like it with my 5150, but it actually sounded decent with my Classic 50.

Still, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

• Members

I edited this post to reflect my personal experience.

I really didn't like it with my 5150, but it actually sounded decent with my Classic 50.

Still, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Personally i think the peavey classic series sound good through almost any cab. I even plugged my friend's classic 30 into my marshall mg cab (which i use as a table cuz it sounds like such {censored}, and I couldnt get much money out of it anyway) and it sounded surprisingly good :lol: Then I plugged my blackmore into it and then remembered why I use it as a table and nothing else :facepalm:

Archived