Recommend me a wah

Nazgul6

• Members

Bad Horsie II.

It sounds great for high gain stuff.

It's easy to use. When you start pivoting the pedal, it activates the pedal. When you take your foot off, it stops. (Actually, you can set the time it takes for the pedal to turn off from instantaneous to about 3 seconds.)

This soudns like a cool idea. Thanks.

• Members

I like the sound of crybabys or vox's BUT they are electric and on the floor and your feet ALWAYS get dirt in the pots and then they sound like scratchy noisy $H!+ . So lately Ive been using a morley wah. They are more sensitive to play but super quiet and theres even a version that automatically turns off the wah when you take off your foot! (More than once Ive ended a song with a wah and then forgot that baddog was still engaged-yukk).

• Members

I like the sound of crybabys or vox's BUT they are electric and on the floor and your feet ALWAYS get dirt in the pots and then they sound like scratchy noisy $H!+ . So lately Ive been using a morley wah. They are more sensitive to play but super quiet and theres even a version that automatically turns off the wah when you take off your foot! (More than once Ive ended a song with a wah and then forgot that baddog was still engaged-yukk).

I've never had that problem with my wahs, but then again, I actually clean my {censored} from time to time. :cop:

My personal favorite, and I'm insanely picky about wahs...

buddabud-wahBig.jpg

• Members
I've never had that problem with my wahs' date=' but then again, I actually clean my {censored} from time to time. QUOTE']

Well maybe if my wahs stayed at home all the time they would never get dirt in the pots from static or never go microphonic and broadcast the local hillbilly auctions! My stuff is clean and the pedal board is in a road case but once your out and about $h!+ happens. I think the tremonti wah by morely is the one that disengages when you lift off.

• Members

Well maybe if my wahs stayed at home all the time they would never get dirt in the pots from static or never go microphonic and broadcast the local hillbilly auctions! My stuff is clean and the pedal board is in a road case but once your out and about $h!+ happens. I think the tremonti wah by morely is the one that disengages when you lift off.

Dude, for the better part of the past 8 years, until the last 6 months (because of my job) I've played out an average of at least 2-3 weekends a month and plenty of 3-4 night weeks. I've played a TON of outdoor gigs, too, so trust me, my {censored}'s been "out and about" every bit as much as yours has and again, never ONCE had a problem with either my 535Q or my Budda.

Maybe I'm just luckier than you. :p

• Members

I too have played out for years and years, live in a dusty enviroment and have never had a problem with the wahs i use( standard GCB-95, Snarling Dogs Mold Spore, and 535). Does it sometimes get scratchy? Sure but rocking it back and forth a couple times fixes it most the time and a shot of air in the pot gets rid of anything else. Do you not use your wah very much? It could be that you just dont use it enough to clear it out. Also radio signals showing up in the mix can sometimes be an amp, power or even cable issue.

To the OP: Right now im doing a major wah search and so far my favorites are the MXR CAE, the standard GCB-95 and the Morley Dragon 2 wah for the wow function. I was really disapointed in the Clyde Deluxe, the one i got brand new barely worked and when it did sucked.

What sort of wah sound are you going for?

• Members

To the OP: Right now im doing a major wah search and so far my favorites are the MXR CAE, the standard GCB-95 and the Morley Dragon 2 wah for the wow function. I was really disapointed in the Clyde Deluxe, the one i got brand new barely worked and when it did sucked.

What sort of wah sound are you going for?

Going for more of a modern, even a tad processed soudning wah. I think maybe the Vai would give that to me, plus it disengages when you take your foot off of it. That's pretty cool for a non-wah guy.

Whats up with the Morley Dragon?

• Members

Going for more of a modern, even a tad processed soudning wah. I think maybe the Vai would give that to me, plus it disengages when you take your foot off of it. That's pretty cool for a non-wah guy.

Whats up with the Morley Dragon?

Really its not that hard to turn off a wah, switchless also means it doesnt cut off right away, it stays on for a second in the heel down position which can be kind crappy sounding.

The Dragon is cool only because of the Wow wah, the normal wah sorta sucks as its very subtle and the wah lock thing is sort of cool but not terribly hard to reproduce. Im not a major fan of the super long throw of the morleys compared to the standard crybaby and i havent played it with the band yet but it definatly has promise.

If i where you id try a GCB-95 or get a cheaper used wah first. The GCB is actually a nice wah that cuts really well, but it doesnt have a round sort of sound, i guess you could call this more modern but it is fairly subtle. If you havent played a wah very much i recommend trying everything you can get your hands on as wah tones are way more user changable than other FX.

• Members

I don't use a wah that much, But I still have a real mccoy RMC-3 I bought about 4-5yrs ago, I love it. The only thing kinda sucks is you have to take the bottom cover off to tweak the settings, but other than that, you can get quite a few different style wah sounds from it. It's kinda pricey though, So I wouldn't get it if you're not big into wah's. I probably should of got a dunlop rack wah instead, but oh well.

• Members

Crybaby Dime From Hell.

I've tried a bunch and this is the one I thought sounded the best through my rig.

Heya Sheik, I tried the Budda with my Gryphon and didn't get along with it at all.

Sounded great for cleans, but for high-gain it barely cut and wasn't very pronounced. :confused:

Are you using it for both cleans and high-gain?

I was really expecting to dig the Budda.

• Members

The clyde has a buffer issue. Sounds fine if you keep your other pedals from the same manufacturer but the gain structure doesnt suit mixing and matching very well. And YES it was the crybabys that had gone microphonic. Had to take it out of the chain betwixt songs. Just becuz you didnt get mugged doesnt mean others dont!!

• Members

Crybaby Dime From Hell.

I've tried a bunch and this is the one I thought sounded the best through my rig.

Heya Sheik, I tried the Budda with my Gryphon and didn't get along with it at all.

Sounded great for cleans, but for high-gain it barely cut and wasn't very pronounced.
:confused:

+1:thu: I have been using the CFH for over 8 years now I think. I havent had any problems getting the exact tone that I want. It has so many adjustments plus the boost feature that it will work for anything. I just got done doing a bunch of mods to a standard Crybaby and there is NO comparison between it and the CFH. The standard crybaby just basically sucks after playing the other one for so long:lol:

• Members

Sounded great for cleans, but for high-gain it barely cut and wasn't very pronounced.
:confused:

Works fine for me on both cleans & high gain. :idk:

It definitely has a smoother sweet spot than most other wahs, which is what I actually like the most about it as opposed to the big, sharp, honky spike of most other wahs that drives me {censored}ing nuts.

Sounds plenty pronounced through my Road King, I'd be really sad to find out it doesn't play well with a Peters. :cry:

Archived