Fender Bandmaster ,,Amp repair guys

dgo ratt

• Members

I picked up this Fender Bandmaster head and a 2x12 cab with EVM12L speakers this weekend dirt cheap..The amp doesent work and has been modded..I have no Idea what needs to be done to get it working..Just wondering If any of you amp repair guys have any recomendations on what may be my next move or who to send it off to..or should I sell it as is :confused:

bandmaster001.jpgbandmaster004.jpgbandmaster003.jpg

• Members

Somebody did a pretty neat job of turning this into a 100 watt amp. And making some nice wood cabs.

Doesn't look like a hack job to me...

Ask around, find an honest tech. Worst case is probably a burnt PT or OT

replacement would be around $200 with labor...

Well worth it.

• Members
Somebody did a pretty neat job of turning this into a 100 watt amp. And making some nice wood cabs.

Doesn't look like a hack job to me...

Ask around, find an honest tech. Worst case is probably a burnt PT or OT

replacement would be around $200 with labor...

Well worth it.

I live in the middle of nowhere...Who would you send it to in the 4 courners area :facepalm: I would like to have it fixed...Mabey even customized with a ton of clean headroom and a PPIMV.

• Members

Looks like they even added an FX loop.

Since it has been so modded, you might find it harder to get the greatest price for it, but its a great amp.

Usual repairs are replacing filter caps, any bad weak tubes or a whole retube (depending), a power cord conversion (if it doesn't have it). If that is all it needs along with a good cleaning and bias adj, shouldn't be too much $. Tubes will cost the most unless a transformer or something is bad.

If it is the usual, figure an estimate like this maybe:

$10-12 ea for filter caps (may be 5 or so to change 3x 20uf@500v, 2x 80@350v). This one is modded, so might have new ones already.

$2 ea for misc electrolytic caps ( 3x 25@50v)

$90-100 (or more) new tube set

$12-14 new power cord (if it needs updated)

Labor will vary I'm sure.

Those EV speakers would probably fetch a good buck if they are orig's and in great condition.

• Members

Looks like they even added an FX loop.

Since it has been so modded, you might find it harder to get the greatest price for it, but its a great amp.

Usual repairs are replacing filter caps, any bad weak tubes or a whole retube (depending), a power cord conversion (if it doesn't have it). If that is all it needs along with a good cleaning and bias adj, shouldn't be too much $. Tubes will cost the most unless a transformer or something is bad.

If it is the usual, figure an estimate like this maybe:

$10-12 ea for filter caps (may be 5 or so to change 3x 20uf@500v, 2x 80@350v). This one is modded, so might have new ones already.

$2 ea for misc electrolytic caps ( 3x 25@50v)

$90-100 (or more) new tube set

$12-14 new power cord (if it needs updated)

Labor will vary I'm sure.

Plus add a C note or two for the tech to figure out what the mess is inside.

If he'll even touch it.

• Members

Many years ago I rebuilt my 64 Bandmaster to 100W. The OT was blown.

The chassis power section had four power tube cutouts. A new PT and OT did it.

Assuming your transformers are good, these amps are a breeze to work on.

The biggest issue is played hard it gets really hot. I mounted a fan (not shown) that solved that issue.

Blonde_64_Bandmaster_front.jpg

Blonde_64_Bandmaster_rear.jpg

• Members

toledo,ohio-PAUL ANWEILER,he is fenders vintage repair guy! they have been sending paul their warrenteed fender products,amps mostly, for customer warrenty work. pauls been doing this for 40+ years. he is an old cat,prolly pushing 70-yrs old,but he is a retired engineer-techno type guy. ANAL AS HELL,doesnt cut corners,has some amazing amps he owns! he swears as far as solidstates are concerned he said if you really wanted a good sounding solidstate amp,designers should use the transformers outta a welding machines,like the lincoln arc welders!! i dont know if its his dry humor or being sarcastic! he really knows how to wrench on peavey stuff,but i thinks fender maps are his true passion, err, calling in his life!!!i think he has a website AMWILER ELECTRONICS?? I GONNA DIG UP HIS TELLY NUM. TO PASS IT ALONG TO MY SISTAS+BROHAMS ON THIS H C A F.:wave:

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Hello , I have a 68 fender bandmaster. When I plug into the second channel all my tone disappears and I’m left with a sterile foggy tone. Tone knobs do not function either. Channel 1 is fine . I opened up the amp and I didn’t see anything blown or connections loose. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

• Members

unless you are sure they've just been replaced, I'd start with a fresh set of tubes. Replace both the preamp and power tubes. I recommend Electro Harmonix. I just retubed my Blackface Bassman recently which has a nearly identical circuit and You'll find the bandmaster will benefit from the clean tone and broad frequency response those tubes provide.

You can do the tubes yourself without a tech. You will have to balance the bias with the hum balance pot those amps have. There's a potentiometer you adjust for minimum hum after changing the power tubes. fender used a single pot to adjust the bias of one tube to match another. Be sure to buy a matched set of tubes too.

If the tone doesn't come back after replacing the tubes, you'll likely need to recap the amp if it hasn't been done yet. I had a problem with the bass channel in my amp. the volume was weak and the tone knob wasn't working. Wound up being a dead cap in the tone stack. I wound up replacing the tone stack caps in both channels and it wound up sounding like a new amp again. Be sure to check the power caps too. They should be replaced every 10 years and that amp is 50 years old. When in doubt change them out.

As far as the second channel goes, I believe the bandmaster has vibrato on the second channel. If the vibrato isn't working it can affect the second channels volume level. Typically bad tubes and caps are the culprits that fail. If you aren't comfortable doing the work replacing them then have it done. The amps are fairly simple to repair and a good tech shouldn't have any problem narrowing down your problem.

Archived