Laney Cub 10 speaker upgrade/external cab question.

Gaetano Paul

• Members

So I am thrilled with this little amp. I have a feeling a speaker upgrade will do great things for this little amp.

THe things I dont like about the speaker, the break up, and at times feels like it could have a little more presence.

I use this amp solely for a clean platform to run my pedals into. I would like a speaker that will give me max volume possibilities, maybe enhance the jangle of the amp, and have a little more presence possibly.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind it is pushing 6v6's and the speaker is 8-16 ohms, what does that mean? And its a 10" speaker inside a really small combo.

Also, anyone ever run a Cub 10 into a 12 or 2x12 cab? if so how does it sound? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help

• Members

I cant help you with speaker suggestions but ive got the 12r and it sounds much much better through a 1x12 sealed cab with a v30. Its got more low end in a sealed cab but im going to replace the speaker in the 12r simply for its portability.

My rocket 50 surprisingly didnt have the ohms labeled on it so I emailed laney and bye the next morning I had a reply and its 8 ohms.

But to my understanding the cab extension 8-16ohm is a universal input with out the need for a ohms switch. So plug either a 8 or 16 ohm speaker in the extension and your good to go.

Give laney a email to be sure, they have replied by the next day both times I emailed em

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Also I have run the cub 10 into a 2x12 since I started this thread and it sounded great , was really loud, and still retained the sensitivity and breath. I can only imagine it would sound great w a 2x12 opened back loaded with some Jensens or other Fender style speakers.

• 6 years later...

Archived