Kids = no sportscar

yourguitarhero

• Members

So, the wife and I have decided to never have children.

It's weird, I've always thought of it as one of those things I'll do it and some unspecified time in the future - you know, have a bit of fun now then get serious and have kids.

With some introspection I've realised I don't want any kids. Turns out the wife feels the same way.

We feel they take over your lives - time-wise, responsibility, financially. Kind of like it's been hanging over your head - you know, gotta get a good job so we can get a house for the kids when we have them,l have to get a family car etc. {censored} that, I want a 2 seater and a home cinema

We want to travel, to spend our money on ourselves - live for each other and not another person who is 100% dependent on us.

We're 29 and 30, so not that young cop.gif

We will live the lives of homosexual couples - nice clothes, furniture, food, cars and holidays and when we're old we'll sell our house and live off the cash and not worry about having to leave an inheritance. Round the world cruise!

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by yourguitarhero View Post
So, the wife and I have decided to never have children.

It's weird, I've always thought of it as one of those things I'll do it and some unspecified time in the future - you know, have a bit of fun now then get serious and have kids.

With some introspection I've realised I don't want any kids. Turns out the wife feels the same way.

We feel they take over your lives - time-wise, responsibility, financially. Kind of like it's been hanging over your head - you know, gotta get a good job so we can get a house for the kids when we have them,l have to get a family car etc. {censored} that, I want a 2 seater and a home cinema

We want to travel, to spend our money on ourselves - live for each other and not another person who is 100% dependent on us.

We're 29 and 30, so not that young cop.gif

We will live the lives of homosexual couples - nice clothes, furniture, food, cars and holidays and when we're old we'll sell our house and live off the cash and not worry about having to leave an inheritance. Round the world cruise!
Youre not even old enough to come to this decision. You are old enough to be acting so immature, and selfish, though.

Piece of advice; stick to this decision!
The world has enough selfish people. No doubt your children would be just like you.

wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by schismed View Post
Youre not even old enough to come to this decision. You are old enough to be acting so immature, and selfish, though.

The world has enough selfish people. No doubt your children would be just like you.

wave.gif
Deciding not to have children is selfish and immature?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by schismed View Post

wave.gif
While the reasoning in the initial post is somewhat selfish, at least they aren't going to have children and hold it against them whenever they realize they can't do everything they once did. Plenty of people jump into parenthood without thinking it through, and it reflects in the development of the children. These guys should live it up and see if they want to have kids whenever they settle down a bit more. A lot can change in only a few years and nothing is written in stone.

Or they could just flood the world with a bunch of bundles of joy and live by the whole "it takes a village" thing. That's the route that most people seem to follow, these days.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO

View Post

Deciding not to have children is selfish and immature?

I think he meant the specific motivation described by the OP, not deciding not to have children in general.

• Members

Hmmmmmm, well, clearly you weren't cut out for parenting. So, it's probably best to not have children, for them, you and everyone.

I know a young man like you, although his reason was he doesn't want to bring a child into a world where youcant even enjoy being a kid, you have to give up your whole life just for a piece of the pie. He has a good point.

• Members

Your thought process is sound. It's nice to hear someone think that through and logically say, nope it's not for me.

I'm happily a father of three girls. My life is not MY life. It's bigger than just that. That is NOT to say it's better, or more valid than yours. If you don't want to have that kind of life than you shouldn't have kids. More power to you. That is way better than the scene I see getting played out by most dad's in my area. Half assed dads who have kids and still just live for themselves.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I think he meant the specific motivation described by the OP, not deciding not to have children in general.
Thats exactly what I meant. {censored} it is probably the best decision he and his wife could make, if all they care about is themselves anyway.
Kudos to the two of them for finding each other. They were made for each other. thumb.gif

And I have to agree with 3volved: They will change your life the moment they come into this world!
{censored}ing amazing how you can instantly love something enough to die for it! thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage

View Post

No, I got that. I just think deciding not to have kids, for whatever reason, isn't "selfish." Nobody owes the world a kid, so regardless of reasoning, I'm not sure why not having them would be an excessive or exclusive concern with one's self. Having a kid and then doing your own thing; that's selfish. How can it be "all they care about" when there is, in fact, nothing to care about. Not caring for kids they don't want, and don't have, and don't plan to have...not seeing "selfish" in there.

• Members

View Post

No, I got that. I just think deciding not to have kids, for whatever reason, isn't "selfish." Nobody owes the world a kid, so regardless of reasoning, I'm not sure why not having them would be an excessive or exclusive concern with one's self.

icon_lol.gif Sure this aint just you stirring {censored} with me again? facepalm.gif

• Members

View Post

No, I got that. I just think deciding not to have kids, for whatever reason, isn't "selfish." Nobody owes the world a kid, so regardless of reasoning, I'm not sure why not having them would be an excessive or exclusive concern with one's self. Having a kid and then doing your own thing; that's selfish. How can it be "all they care about" when there is, in fact, nothing to care about. Not caring for kids they don't want, and don't have, and don't plan to have...not seeing "selfish" in there.

But what if it's God's will?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by schismed

View Post

icon_lol.gif Sure this aint just you stirring {censored} with me again? facepalm.gif

I thought I explained why I reckoned not having kids wasn't selfish. In a thread about not having children. I was unaware that constituted stirring {censored}.

Archived