wiring a 6X12 cab

oinkbanana

• Members

can you maps guys give me some advice on a 6X12?

using six 16Ohm speakers wired in series parallel gives a cab of 10.66Ohms

6sp_spk4.gif

Should I run my tube head at 8Ohms or 16Ohms tap?

OR

I can use four 16Ohm speakers and two 8Ohm speakers to make an 8Ohm cab.

6sp_spk3.gif

or

2vb3cev.gif

but the 8ohm speakers will individually get 2 times the power that the 16ohm speakers get, seems ass-backwards for something all in one enclosure, I might as well get a 4X12 & 2X12.

how is your 6X12 wired?

or where can I find 12Ohm speakers?

• Members

Celestion makes (or has made) 5.33 ohm speakers.

Perhaps others do also.

wiring 3 of those in series makes 16 ohms, then parallel 2 sets for 8 ohms total.

Otherwise you could just look for 8 ohm speakers that are 3db less efficient than your 16 ohm speakers, and the output should all be equal.

• Members

I don't play stadiums, I play loud as {censored} stoner rock with my 6x12. It looks and sounds awesome.

And YES, six speakers sound BETTER than four.

p.s. Mine is wired up like the second example sort of.

Actually I wired mine up stereo, 8 ohms per side. Two 8's and a 16 so they even out to 8 per side.

• Members

I'd wire it up for 10.66 ohms, and set the amp to the 8 ohm tap. Ohm ratings are only approximate and for one frequency, and output transformers should easily take that slight mismatch.

a friend of mine suggested I should do this, and that I can bias the amp a little hotter so that the tap will expect more resistance and less power will be lost.,, kind of how when you pull two powertubes you have to step up on the tap measurements.

any truth to this?

• Members

6X12 klops. you think he'll build one for me?

and lets place them all in a bigger circle, hexagon pattern...

greg, two of your speakers are getting half the total power, thus breaking up earlier & putting out 3db more volume then the other 4 speakers? isn't the point of having the speakers all in one enclosure to make them work together equally?

• Members

I have zero experience with tube amplifiers and impedance matching but option 1 with the 16 ohm output would be the best i think. Google tells me it's ok to connect a lower impedance than what is stated on the output. (With a tube amp that is.)

• Members

I have zero experience with tube amplifiers and impedance matching but option 1 with the 16 ohm output would be the best i think. Google tells me it's ok to connect a lower impedance than what is stated on the output. (With a tube amp that is.)

This kind of tube?

0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived