Anxiety..?

Slaymoar

• Members

Anyone here deal with anxiety? I've had anxiety since I was 12. Most of the time, it's not there. But when it flares up, it REALLY sucks the life outa me. I just want to sit at home and do nothing. Everything feels like 10x the work and any obstacle brings more anxiety. I worry about everything, no matter how small or irrational. Just a general crippling sense in my body and ruins everything; work, home, social life etc.. Man I hate going through this. Back on the meds apparently.. :facepalm:

• Members

I just want to sit at home and do nothing I would think you are suffering from depression and your depression is causing the anxiety in your life. I felt the same way many years ago and I've been on Prozac for a long time. My ups and downs are very rare anymore. Go to the doctor.

• Members

I go through that too, you just have to, in the end, realize that it's not worth worrying about and {censored} that is out of your control will happen regardless of how much you plan for it otherwise.

Right now I'm driving myself through it thinking that my time with my current employer is about to end, because my boss, who has never asked me any questions of "how do you do this", is asking a LOT of questions...

Enough to where I have 5 recruiting companies marketing myself elsewhere...with the thought that I'll give myself a raise by going elsewhere.

• Members

I have this problem, & my anxiety came to a head last year....felt like I was having an anxiety attack at work. I had been taking more natural remedies (herbal drops, etc..), but they didn't help enough.

I called my doctor again; she gave me a small dose of Xanax to calm down, then got me on Zoloft, which I take 50mg at bedtime. That seems to have really helped.

Also, not to sound like a religuous nut (which I'm not), but I did some reading on "learning to turn things over to the Lord, let him deal with it". It is not good to worry yourself sick. Also do things that relax you, like going for a hike, catch a movie, meditate, take a vacation, etc.... Good luck!

• Members

I can tell my son is dealing with a bit of anxiety/depression.. They kinda go hand and hand..

Personally, I never really had issues with it..I get nervous during moments that would cause anxiety, but i would never just wake up and feel anxious.. So I can't totally relate to what my son is feeling, but I saw in him at a young age and I actually bought a program years ago on cassettes that was designed to deal with anxiety and depression. I didn't show it to him, cause I thought he was too young. I really wish I did, and I'm going to do the program with him now.. .

I'm a firm believer that you don't need drugs to conquer anxiety.. I believe that the mind and proper health(diet) can go a long way in helping someone deal with anxiety... Those anti anxiety drugs have too many side effects and they truly are just masking the issues. I would never resort to that method with my son until I've exhausted the natural and more thought out methods of dealing with this issue..

There had been a lot of success in dealing with anxiety, depression by learning methods of coping and dealing with the issues when you face them.. It takes effort and a new thought process on some things, but its way better than popping a pill that you will have to take the rest of your life.. I Mean, if Prozac somehow cured the problem, then great, but it doesn't.. It helps the issue when you take it.. When you quit, then you are right back at square 1, in fact in a lot of cases its worse, because you will be more inclined to keep taking drugs because is a more immediate fix and once you've been on a drug that offers that, its tough to not choose that option again.. Therefore most will never truly deal with their problem

• Members

I have lOts of anxiety. Work out, etc but it isn't enough.

working out and eating right is just one aspect.. There are certain ways of thinking that you'll have to work on and try adjusting.. And really, like any thing if its repeated enough, it will eventually become a part of your natural thought process..

I've read thru and listened to a lot of this program I bought for my son and even for myself who Doesnt really suffer from this, there are some definitely helpful and enlightening ways of thinking that help me during times of stress or whatnot..

• Members

I've suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life with major breakdowns every five or so years. I've been on long-term disability with my latest bout for almost a year. I fucking hate what it's done to my life, although I've managed to marry a wonderful woman, raise a precious daughter and build a successful career in spite of my illness. I hate how it completely derails things every few years. :mad:

I attend group session at the local mental health centre three times a week, one-on-one once a week, practice mindfullness and cognitive behaviour therapy and take Effexor and Seroquel. I take Clonazepam as needed for anxiety -- maybe once every couple of weeks, although I know I should be using it more but I try to tough it out.

I've tried altering my diet and working out but have not been able to climb out of this one yet. It's been the worst I've ever experienced and both my GP and my psych -- who have been treating me for more than a decade -- think my bouts will get closer together and continue to worsen as I get older. (I'm 40.)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

:mad:

• Members

I've suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life with major breakdowns every five or so years. I've been on long-term disability with my latest bout for almost a year. I fucking hate what it's done to my life, although I've managed to marry a wonderful woman, raise a precious daughter and build a successful career in spite of my illness. I hate how it completely derails things every few years.

I attend group session at the local mental health centre three times a week, one-on-one once a week, practice mindfullness and cognitive behaviour therapy and take Effexor and Seroquel. I take Clonazepam as needed for anxiety -- maybe once every couple of weeks, although I know I should be using it more but I try to tough it out.

I've tried altering my diet and working out but have not been able to climb out of this one yet. It's been the worst I've ever experienced and both my GP and my psych -- who have been treating me for more than a decade -- think my bouts will get closer together and continue to worsen as I get older. (I'm 40.)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Wow man that sucks! Ever try another GP/psych combination? Do you follow your CBT well? How much mindfulness a day?

• Members

I'm a firm believer that you don't need drugs to conquer anxiety.

This just isn't true. Many can't deal with it any other way since everybody's got their own cross to bear. I've got family members in healthcare, and lots of people just don't have the tools to do it without. Drugs are part of the solution, but they may also be a necessary part. There's no shame in it if it helps improve your quality of life.

• Members

Wow man that sucks! Ever try another GP/psych combination? Do you follow your CBT well? How much mindfulness a day?

We've been a pretty good team in beating it back in the past, so I'm inclined to stick with them. I try to follow CBT as much as I can but when I really spiral down, it's almost impossible. I've literally been on the floor trying to crawl to the bathroom and my wife's trying to get me to do exercises. It would be comical if it wasn't so fucking ridiculous. :D

Archived